Rocks??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishylittlenemo

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm thinking about putting rocks in my tank....now do I have to have a special type? What do I got to do to prepare it for the tank? I know someone mention something about you have to do something to it before u put them in the tank but i don't know what? Can you help??

Are you planning to use rocks you find yourself? If so, it would help to find out a bit about the geology of the region.

Safe rocks: quartz, sandstone, granite, petrified wood, slate
Unsafe: limestone, marble, metal ores - these will leach into the water and mess with the chemistry.

Any stones found outside should be washed thoroughly, boiled, and rinsed several times. You can buy nice pieces of the safe rocks listed above at many garden centers for a fraction of whaty the lfs charges.

Ok thanks....I was thinking of using rocks around here. But I might just got out and buy them instead. Thanks alot.

Yeah but I'm actually having trouble finding anyone who carries such stone at any garden centers. I live in a fairly big city, but it seems slate and granite don't come in anything except tile which is too small and cut too perfectly to make a nice design.

There was just a big thread about this....look for the thread entitled "Beach rocks" or something like that.

If you find rocks that you like, take pictures of them and post...there are a few people in here (me included) with a geology background that should be able to ID them. Also, where are you? If we know at least what area of the country (or what country!) you're in, that will help determine if you should even bother looking outside for rocks (ie if you're in Florida, don't bother!)

i work at petco and we sell a couple types of rocks

we sell fake lava rock, very porous, so it doesnt displace much water and great for a bio mechanism

we have that rock in a red and white

then we have a solid rock that is white with redish designs in it

go to a local petco and check it out

Lava rock is not for fish, or so I'm told. Its too sharp or something like that. The other is sandstone, its good but I don't like the look. I do have piece of that in my 12 gallon.

Go to home depot, lowes or stines, anything with a garden center and ask for "patio rock". It is dark blue slate. It comes in rather thick pieces but can be split up the center. I used it for a waterfall in my vivarium and built a house for my large BGK. I think I paid 8 cents a pound for it.

Hara said:
Go to home depot, lowes or stines, anything with a garden center and ask for "patio rock". It is dark blue slate. It comes in rather thick pieces but can be split up the center. I used it for a waterfall in my vivarium and built a house for my large BGK. I think I paid 8 cents a pound for it.

They don't have it. Not here anyway.

Back
Top Bottom