Rocks and Ph

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Holokai

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just had a run in with Honey Comb Rocks raising my pH to 8.2, and after further testing, I believe my tap water comes out at 7.1. I'm wondering what kind of rocks can be used that won't mess with the pH/kH/gH? Or is that not possible?

Thanks

- Chris

I think honey comb rocks are a type of limestone which will raise pH. Check rocks by dropping some hydrochloric acid (muriatic acid) on them. If they react and bubble, they will raise pH. Marble, limestone, and coral all raise pH. Slate and quartz rock are a couple that will not affect pH.

In addition to Savga's suggestions, the following rocks will not affect pH either: petrified wood, granite, sandstone.

Take care in identifying rocks that are red, blue, green, or silvery. Some, but not all, contain leachable iron, copper, or zinc.

Good to know.

Will the removal of the rocks lower my pH right away, or have tehy affected the water to the point that water changes will have to be done to return the pH to normal?

- Chris

You'll have to bring down the pH with water changes, but you want to avoid a big pH swing, so avoid a big water change. Maybe remove and replace 10% a day until the pH is close to that of your tap water.

Yup, that's what I figured. I'm probably going to add some driftwood today or tomorrow, we'll see what happens. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom