Rocks by the river

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endgame319

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I live by a river with some neat rocks, what do I have to do to make them aquarium safe? I have some hydrochloric acid to test it with.

i got a lot of rocks from a local creek for my tank. I just rinsed them off thoroughly and i havent had any problems.

i got a lot of rocks from a local creek for my tank. I just rinsed them off thoroughly and i havent had any problems.

Yep, I would do the bleach treatment, then rinse & rinse & rinse, & finally rinse with water & a heavy dose of dechlor. To be paranoid, I would also leave it out in the sun to dry (& bake a bit).

We added some river rocks to our brichardi tank. The bleach solution used was minimal--not even a capful per gallon and then rinsed, rinsed, rinsed.

Chikadee said:
I boiled mine for about 15 minutes and that seemed to do the trick

Yeah, i did that and knocked any remaining dirt off. Then i tested a cup of water for all the parameters, put the largest rock in, waited a while and stirred the water, and tested it again.

I was thinking about getting some rocks from a river near me.
So bleach and boiling is the way to go huh?
Cool, thanks for the info.

After all cleaning is done, you should also put them in a bucket of dechorinated tap water, and test ph, gh, and kh. add a bubler for water movement and repeat tests daily for at least 3 days (personally, I'd go with a week). this will let you know if the rocks will wreak havoc on your water parameters, or maybe add some buffering capacity that is desirable to your type of fish.

Back
Top Bottom