Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 04-04-2013, 08:54 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
germanyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornstar View Post
I honestly would never try using a sponge that had been in contact with dawn soap. I have heard of bad experiences of the chemical in contact with fish.
And now you are speaking with someone who has used a soap ridden brush and nothing bad happened. As a matter of fact the rocks soaked in a bucket of soap for over an hour before scrubbing and boiling.
__________________

__________________
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
Joshfishguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 145
Boil it for 15 to 25 min if you really want to not have trouble with the rocks go boiling bubbling water for 30 min that's what u do get the dirt out every time. Do 30 just to be safe
__________________

__________________
Joshfishguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:13 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Fishanatic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: AquaLand
Posts: 2,000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshfishguy View Post
Boil it for 15 to 25 min if you really want to not have trouble with the rocks go boiling bubbling water for 30 min that's what u do get the dirt out every time. Do 30 just to be safe
As said, the rocks might explode violently. So it is not suggested. I confused myself earlier with driftwood.
__________________
Oscar and ClownKnife Fish Lover
Fishanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:16 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Sillyfishies's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Omaha,Nebraska
Posts: 3,374
I've personally made a rock explode. It's possible.
__________________
90g Reef
30g Long Frag Tank
10g Planted
3g Pico Reef
Sillyfishies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:20 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Wiggles24's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Northern california
Posts: 1,368
It's not needed to use boiling water and certainly not soap. As said before use a clean scrub brush and hot water, make sure you scrub well and rinse too! I have rocks in all my tanks and have never had an issue
__________________
Wiggles24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
azmodan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 2,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by germanyt View Post

And now you are speaking with someone who has used a soap ridden brush and nothing bad happened. As a matter of fact the rocks soaked in a bucket of soap for over an hour before scrubbing and boiling.
It's good that your fish are doing fine after that, and I bet you rinsed everything really well. But unfortunately there are still people out there who will read your statement and think it's fine to use soap in their aquarium or something silly like that. For those new to the hobby we'd like to avoid that.

It's just sort of a matter of common sense to not use soap or soapy items with aquarium-related things. Soap kills bacteria and there's a ton of very helpful bacteria in our tanks most of us have spent a looooot of time trying to cultivate and keep alive.

I also wouldn't want my fish to have to deal with traces of chemicals used in soap passing through their gills and likely hurting them, much like how I'd never mix soap in with my dog's food or water. The extent of how much it will hurt them or the chemistry in your tank is clearly debatable, but in the end it's definitely not doing any good by being in there. So why risk it, particularly when there are alternatives that are harmless?
__________________
azmodan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:46 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak
 
germanyt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Baton Rouge, La.
Posts: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by azmodan View Post

It's good that your fish are doing fine after that, and I bet you rinsed everything really well. But unfortunately there are still people out there who will read your statement and think it's fine to use soap in their aquarium or something silly like that. For those new to the hobby we'd like to avoid that.

It's just sort of a matter of common sense to not use soap or soapy items with aquarium-related things. Soap kills bacteria and there's a ton of very helpful bacteria in our tanks most of us have spent a looooot of time trying to cultivate and keep alive.

I also wouldn't want my fish to have to deal with traces of chemicals used in soap passing through their gills and likely hurting them, much like how I'd never mix soap in with my dog's food or water. The extent of how much it will hurt them or the chemistry in your tank is clearly debatable, but in the end it's definitely not doing any good by being in there. So why risk it, particularly when there are alternatives that are harmless?
Well I wouldnt compare it to mixing soap with your dog food or water. More like putting the bowls in the dishwasher. I dont really care what people do in regards to their rocks. Im just saying there is no harm in using soap. A boil or rinse in hot water removes the soap just like it does from the dishes you eat off of.
__________________
germanyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:28 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Darylb's Avatar


 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: western australia
Posts: 2,339
Don't put heat onto quartz they do explode I use to live in a town where we had nothing to do and found out they explode so we tested it and yep they really do dunno about in boiling water but we had it in a fire
__________________
Darylb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 07:56 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
NYgiantsRP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 1,872
I have put tons and tons of rocks in my tanks. I have a creek in my backyard so I chnge my rocks 5 to10 times a year. I used to boil them for an hour, but then I ruined my favorite pot, so for the last year (about 100 rocks) I just rinse them off and a lite scrub if needed and throw them in. I haven't had any problems.
__________________
NYgiantsRP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 08:49 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Zimmanski's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Dallas, Tx
Posts: 2,152
Certain rocks with air pockets have the ability to crack or explode due to the expanding gas within those pockets for example pumice or lava rock can. Most people can't look at a rock and say for sure if the rock have any air pockets or if its solid so when giving advice to people you should keep that in mind, that's why people say not to boil. That being said, I boil mine, but I don't put my face near the pot either. I use a brush dedicated to my aquarium to scrub my rocks, why would you want to scrub dirty rocks or dirty decorations with algae then use the same brush on something you use to eat food?
__________________

Zimmanski is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
fish, rock, rocks, tan, tank

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.