Rocks for fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JDT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi All

First post !:brows:

I would like to have some advice ..........ive picked up some nice rocks(Quartz).
I would like to put this in my new tank(Guppies&Pleco)---
Does the vinegar test really work --i know if it fizz its not save
Is there any tips for cleaning the dirt out of cracks?
Not sure but did research on the rocks and most of the info said it is safe to use in aquarium?

Proud owner
Neon Tetras
Plecos
Mollies
Swords
Guppies :)

To make sure all bacteria is dead, I would recommend at least an hour of boiling, and letting it cool down.

I scrubbed my limestone river rocks with soapy water and boiled them for like 30 seconds. Don't even have ph issues. And I also had no reaction from vinegar.

They look just like these.
214.jpg

Reactions: JDT
I scrubbed my limestone river rocks with soapy water and boiled them for like 30 seconds. Don't even have ph issues. And I also had no reaction from vinegar.

They look just like these.
It depends where you got them from. Its a safer technique to boil for a bit longer.

You shouldn't boil rocks as certain types can actually explode. A good scrub with vinegar (never soap) using a new toothbrush or scrub brush that has never been used with soap or any other cleaner and very hot water is all you need to do.

You shouldn't boil rocks as certain types can actually explode. A good scrub with vinegar (never soap) using a new toothbrush or scrub brush that has never been used with soap or any other cleaner and very hot water is all you need to do.
Yes yes I confunded with driftwood. But it is still possible to boil certain rocks.

Yes there are certain rocks you can boil but unless your a geologist and know what the exact makeup is for said rocks I wouldn't personally wouldn't want to try it... lol

Nonsense. I used a scrub brush that was used for months as a dish washing brush and scrubbed my rocks with Dawn dish soap. Can you offer up any example of negative effects of using soap or a used brush? And a quick search for exploding rocks offers nothing but aquarium sites claiming that it could happen. It's the equivalent of bro-science in the gym.

Nonsense. I used a scrub brush that was used for months as a dish washing brush and scrubbed my rocks with Dawn dish soap. Can you offer up any example of negative effects of using soap or a used brush? And a quick search for exploding rocks offers nothing but aquarium sites claiming that it could happen. It's the equivalent of bro-science in the gym.

I honestly would never try using a sponge that had been in contact with dawn soap. I have heard of bad experiences of the chemical in contact with fish.

I honestly would never try using a sponge that had been in contact with dawn soap. I have heard of bad experiences of the chemical in contact with fish.

And now you are speaking with someone who has used a soap ridden brush and nothing bad happened. As a matter of fact the rocks soaked in a bucket of soap for over an hour before scrubbing and boiling.

Boil it for 15 to 25 min if you really want to not have trouble with the rocks go boiling bubbling water for 30 min that's what u do get the dirt out every time. Do 30 just to be safe

Boil it for 15 to 25 min if you really want to not have trouble with the rocks go boiling bubbling water for 30 min that's what u do get the dirt out every time. Do 30 just to be safe
As said, the rocks might explode violently. So it is not suggested. I confused myself earlier with driftwood.

It's not needed to use boiling water and certainly not soap. As said before use a clean scrub brush and hot water, make sure you scrub well and rinse too! I have rocks in all my tanks and have never had an issue

And now you are speaking with someone who has used a soap ridden brush and nothing bad happened. As a matter of fact the rocks soaked in a bucket of soap for over an hour before scrubbing and boiling.

It's good that your fish are doing fine after that, and I bet you rinsed everything really well. But unfortunately there are still people out there who will read your statement and think it's fine to use soap in their aquarium or something silly like that. For those new to the hobby we'd like to avoid that. ;)

It's just sort of a matter of common sense to not use soap or soapy items with aquarium-related things. Soap kills bacteria and there's a ton of very helpful bacteria in our tanks most of us have spent a looooot of time trying to cultivate and keep alive. :)

I also wouldn't want my fish to have to deal with traces of chemicals used in soap passing through their gills and likely hurting them, much like how I'd never mix soap in with my dog's food or water. The extent of how much it will hurt them or the chemistry in your tank is clearly debatable, but in the end it's definitely not doing any good by being in there. So why risk it, particularly when there are alternatives that are harmless?

It's good that your fish are doing fine after that, and I bet you rinsed everything really well. But unfortunately there are still people out there who will read your statement and think it's fine to use soap in their aquarium or something silly like that. For those new to the hobby we'd like to avoid that. ;)

It's just sort of a matter of common sense to not use soap or soapy items with aquarium-related things. Soap kills bacteria and there's a ton of very helpful bacteria in our tanks most of us have spent a looooot of time trying to cultivate and keep alive. :)

I also wouldn't want my fish to have to deal with traces of chemicals used in soap passing through their gills and likely hurting them, much like how I'd never mix soap in with my dog's food or water. The extent of how much it will hurt them or the chemistry in your tank is clearly debatable, but in the end it's definitely not doing any good by being in there. So why risk it, particularly when there are alternatives that are harmless?

Well I wouldnt compare it to mixing soap with your dog food or water. More like putting the bowls in the dishwasher. I dont really care what people do in regards to their rocks. Im just saying there is no harm in using soap. A boil or rinse in hot water removes the soap just like it does from the dishes you eat off of.

Don't put heat onto quartz they do explode I use to live in a town where we had nothing to do and found out they explode so we tested it and yep they really do dunno about in boiling water but we had it in a fire

I have put tons and tons of rocks in my tanks. I have a creek in my backyard so I chnge my rocks 5 to10 times a year. I used to boil them for an hour, but then I ruined my favorite pot, so for the last year (about 100 rocks) I just rinse them off and a lite scrub if needed and throw them in. I haven't had any problems.

Certain rocks with air pockets have the ability to crack or explode due to the expanding gas within those pockets for example pumice or lava rock can. Most people can't look at a rock and say for sure if the rock have any air pockets or if its solid so when giving advice to people you should keep that in mind, that's why people say not to boil. That being said, I boil mine, but I don't put my face near the pot either. I use a brush dedicated to my aquarium to scrub my rocks, why would you want to scrub dirty rocks or dirty decorations with algae then use the same brush on something you use to eat food?

Back
Top Bottom