Rocks from a local lake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stevenht

Aquarium Advice FINatic
We have a big local lake here in Texas that obviously has rocks in it. I know this question has been asked a thousand times but can I use these? Buying rocks is just flat out expensive from any store. I plan on pressure washing them and then the vinegar test on them. Anything else to be aware of before introducing them into my tank? I'd like to not boil them cause I have heard first hand accounts of exploding rocks.

I'm certain the rocks from the noted lake are fine. Don't worry about Limestone. Being in Texas
your water is likely hard, and limestone is very abundant. It won't hurt your fish. Check all selected rocks for obvious metallic deposits. Not all that common, but dangerous to fish.
Just rinse the rocks off with water. No need to boil them. You might Check your local rock yard. Texas Holey Rocks are highly sought after and are probably very inexpensive in your neighborhood. Happy rock hunting.

I heard limestone gives off calcium or something and should be used with caution? Correct me if I'm wrong. I'm hoping to find some slate rocks for cliffs and caves.

Texas Holey Rock is crazy if you travel 2 hours south. According to my uncle down by San Antonio it's literally his entire backyard. Texas is just huge so travelling anywhere can take all day. I can get some at a LFS but they don't have very many good pieces left last time I was there on Friday so I this is my alternative for the time being.

I just wash them up and bake them on a cookie sheet for 5-10 mins. Scrub good. Let cool and throw them in the tank. Some rocks can mess with the ph if I remember right.

Going to try and get some slate rocks or long slender smooth river rocks. I'll post pictures tonight. If it has algae growth on it, will it just need a good scrub and some h2o?

Going to try and get some slate rocks or long slender smooth river rocks. I'll post pictures tonight. If it has algae growth on it, will it just need a good scrub and some h2o?
Just scrub. I used a old toothbruch for any cracks. And a scrub brush for the most part. Get some good ones... good luck!

Forgot my vinegar today and got about 10 rocks. Of course most of them fizzed and you can hear it better than you can see it. Most of the rocks looked like flint material snd I think I only found 1 river stone

I managed to get 4 caves for 6 julidochromis marlieri magara and I got my shells for my multifasciatus so I think I'm going to be ok

Hey guys, I brought some volcanic rocks from Iceland and boiled them for half an hour. I still received heavy algae growth. Took them out after a week. What can I do to them so I can put them back?

Hey guys, I brought some volcanic rocks from Iceland and boiled them for half an hour. I still received heavy algae growth. Took them out after a week. What can I do to them so I can put them back?

The type of rock isn't a determining factor on algae growth.

The best cure for excessive algae growth that I've found are Bristlenose Plecos. The two I keep in my display tank keep 120 lbs of rock, smooth and white. Weekly large WC's dilute the available nutrients in the water, starving out the algae.

Take them out and soak tbem in a 50:50 h202 bath for 30-45 minutes. It will nuke the algae. Too keep it gone adjust lighting intensity and period and perform weekly wcs keeping nitrates below 20ppm

They are rocks from a volcano, so can they contain some bad minerals? Before I put them in, I boiled them for half an hour. The algae still came pretty aggressively.

Post some pics of your volcanic rocks. If you are describing "Lava Rocks", they are readily available at most quality fish stores. Other than having sharp edges, are safe for aquarium use.

Back
Top Bottom