Rocks from here and there

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

Over thae last few months I've been picking up rocks from different places for my new tank. I have some from the lakes, some from river beds and a few from the ocean. Can I just wash them and put them in the aquarium, or are they going to mess up the water in any way?

Thank you!!!!

rocks from every where!!

Hi,
I have many different assorted rocks in my tank and it is fine..You need to wash the rocks w/a water and bleach solution and rinse very very well...and you should do just fine. As far as the ocean rocks..are they shells? the will increase the ph in the tank a little but cichlids are happy with a higher ph. I have 2 large shells in my tank and they look nice and naturally rise my ph w/out any chemicals my ph stays at 7.8

It should be ok, like Dingogirl said, to add rocks after you sterilise them. But i really wouldn't recommend adding shells as they dissolve into the water over time, releasing bits and pieces of salt and other un-wanted particles.

After sterilizing the stones by boiling, I would still proceed with caution. Limestone will slowly dissolve and raise your kH and pH. You can test for this with a strong acid like muriatic acid. If a drop placed on the stone bubbles, then don't put it in the tank.

Another concern is metal ores, as these can be toxic to inverts and some fish. Sometimes these can be hard to identify unless you know a geologist. Most copper ores are blue or green, and some iron ores are red or orange.

Quartz, granite, sandstone, and petrified wood are all perfectly safe. HTH

Back
Top Bottom