Rocks/stones in an aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would wash them good ether with baking soda or another way. I hear people get different experiences with boiling them.

Yes some rocks can but I have yet to have it happen... And I have boiled a lot of stones and rockslate. Also some rocks have limestone in them which apparently can leech into your water...

The rocks exploding surprises me lol
But I just read that bleach and water to clean is good
Also what exactly is driftwood? Like going outside and trying to find some

Yes some rocks can but I have yet to have it happen... And I have boiled a lot of stones and rockslate. Also some rocks have limestone in them which apparently can leech into your water...

+1 some rocks such as limestone can increase pH and to tell which ones do, drip some vinegar on them and check if they bubble, if they do, it'll raise your pH, but i don't think riverstones are a problem. never put concrete in your tank either as it will leech harmful chemicals into the water

You can also by driftwood(dw) in stores. They come attach to a rock slate normally so sinking them isn't a problem but normally people soak them for 5 or so days to get the tannins out of them. But that being said, other like the colour...

Fishandmusic81 said:
The rocks exploding surprises me lol
But I just read that bleach and water to clean is good
Also what exactly is driftwood? Like going outside and trying to find some

Driftwood is pretty much wood sitting in a creek of something like that. Can boil though!

Hobgob said:
You can also by driftwood(dw) in stores. They cone attach to a rock slate normally so sinking them isn't a problem but normally people soak them for 5 or so days to get the tannins out of them. But that being said, other like the colour...

Yeah my lps actually sells them from the tank for an extra dollar so I always buy it from there I don't have to worry about tannins

Fishandmusic81 said:
Yeah my lps actually sells them from the tank for an extra dollar so I always buy it from there I don't have to worry about tannins

Me too and eaiser to find can't find near me!

Some wood decays faster then others though. There is one type of wood that is a no no but I don't know the type. I always just buy my dw from stores. Sometimes they have some in the reptile section as well...

driftwood should be free....wood in fish stores tend to be expensive. wood that comes from trees that bear fruit like apples or oak are fine but never use wood from trees with sap like pine cuz thats toxic to fish. let the wood soak in water a couple of weeks to get the tannins out (they aren't harmful, just turns your tank brown) and put some aquarium salt in to kill parasites or anything else in the wood. strip off any rotting or molding parts of the branch and voila! driftwood that would've costed you 20 bucks or more is technically free

My dw is always free because of my frys. :) but yes pine is a no no and tannins are yellowish brown I guess I tend to see more yellow myself when I soak it. Also some stores have presoaked wood and I bet you could get a way better deal off the net then in a lfs!

JokerWx13 said:
driftwood should be free....wood in fish stores tend to be expensive. wood that comes from trees that bear fruit like apples or oak are fine but never use wood from trees with sap like pine cuz thats toxic to fish. let the wood soak in water a couple of weeks to get the tannins out (they aren't harmful, just turns your tank brown) and put some aquarium salt in to kill parasites or anything else in the wood. strip off any rotting or molding parts of the branch and voila! driftwood that would've costed you 20 bucks or more is technically free

It should be free and that's what I'm aiming for lol
But it seems so iffy idk if the piece of wood could be one that could hurt the fish

Back
Top Bottom