Rocks stuck below Black Moor's Eye

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Noble nom nom

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, I'm wondering what I can do to help my little guy. He is over a year old and has had these 2 black rocks stuck in his eye for a few months now.

At first I thought it was just the remainder of his black coloring, but he has now turned completely gold. Now, I can clearly see that there are these two rocks right below his left eye.

How do I get it out!?!?! I've tried gently messaging the area to see if I can work them out. They move around, but there isn't really a place for them to come out.

I've uploaded two pictures his bad eye and one of the good eye. The left eye is slightly higher than the right eye and is more bubbly.

Attachments

• DSC01068.jpg
    DSC01068.jpg
    122.9 KB · Views: 102
  • DSC01070.jpg
    DSC01070.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC01072.jpg
    DSC01072.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 92
Are they beneath the skin? Maybe it's a tumor? I'm not going to be of much help here, sorry. I've sent a PM to Jlk though who knows a lot about goldfish so she'll see this thread at some point.

Yeas, they are beneath the skin. If I gently massage them, they will move around. It looks exactly like the smaller gravel rocks in my tank. About every 3 months he will suck one up off the ground and get it caught in his throat. I've always been able to massage them out. But I've never seen anything like this before. It doesn't seem to bother him, but I still want to get it out if possible.

Well, um there is one way. but it might be expensive, I just watch a youtube video on goldfish surgery. They put him in a cooler of sedative, then laid him on a sponge soaked on it. then lopped off a tumor, then put him in fresh water. I suggest finding a goldfish expert locally that may have the stuff to do this. A veterinarian that specializes in fish may be of help also.

Does it actually feel hard like a rock or is more firm mass or squishy? You mention 'massaging them out in the past'? Massaging rocks from his mouth or from his eyes?

I have to suspect a tumor first simply because I dont know how he would have managed to get a rock physically inside his eye sacs. This aside, if it doesnt appear to bothering him, you can either leave it be or opt for help from an aquatic vet who can surgically remove it under sedation. If you need help finding an aquatic vet, please ask!

One other thing, I really think its time for the gravel to go. Whether its in his eye or not, if you have already removed it on occasions prior, its only a matter of time before he swallows a piece and becomes impacted in his intestinal tract resulting in a very unpleasant demise. If you want to keep the black, try blasting sand. Welcome to AA, btw!! Please ask if you have any questions!

Back
Top Bottom