Roof slate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scouser

Aquarium Advice Addict
On my way home today I noticed that the people across the street have had a portion of roof redone and they have a skip with the old or unused slate in.

My question is; would this be safe for aquarium use?

Thanks

Might be ok if you give it a really thorough scrub with warm water. I'd suggest possibly putting it into a qt tank for a week or two and monitoring the water levels to be on the safe side

Don't have a QT tank.... Yet lol.

I can boil it though so that should kill any bugs an then ill leave it in decholrinated water just in case they washed it with something beforehand.

Always be careful boiling rocks. Make sure to do a very slow temp rise. A good scrubbing and boil should do the trick as long as the slate has never been treated with anything.

skiweeangel said:
Always be careful boiling rocks. Make sure to do a very slow temp rise. A good scrubbing and boil should do the trick as long as the slate has never been treated with anything.

Yea I was thinking that lol!

Don't wanna pan of pebbles :)

let me know how it goes. there is some wicked old slate sitting outside my parents house from the previous owners. i was eyeing it the last time i was over there. not sure how much cleaning i would have to give it though.

skiweeangel said:
let me know how it goes. there is some wicked old slate sitting outside my parents house from the previous owners. i was eyeing it the last time i was over there. not sure how much cleaning i would have to give it though.

Will do :)

I'll post a log of the events for you all

Back
Top Bottom