Roommates Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Xell9334

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey thanks for all your help on my new 10 gallon tank... its lookin great so far, and soon going to be upgraded to planted after a few more weeks. Pictures may or may be not up soon. My new tank has started a trend with my roommate. He now wants to get a 10 gallon tank of his own. He really likes Neon Tetras, so I was wondering if those would be good for someone starting a new tank. I can help a little bit, but I'm still a beginner :lol: ... Any advice on tankmates, and setup (fake plants are easiest available with the limited budget)... he also wants to get a ghost shrimp or something like that. He saw one at the pet store when we were there last. He already has the tank, some white gravel, and a decent sized peice of driftwood. Thanks for any help you guys can offer... this site has been very helpful.

Neons would be fine in a ten gallon tank. The are sensitive so be sure he does a fishless cycle they will not survive a fishy cycle. The shrimp will be fine with them. He could do some pygmy corys as well if he wanted.

So no on the neons as a starter for him. What else could he do thats small and easy (and gets along with the shrimp)... preferrably not gouramis, cuz thats what I started with.

just an fyi you will never see any ghost shrimp on a white gravel. I rarely can find them in my 5 gal tank. I thought they looked best on the sand in my 55gal.

Neons from what I have heard aren't much of survivors. Guppies are pretty hardy fish, but i would still go with the fishless cycle before adding any fish.

if he can get some sparkling gouramis, those would be great for a ten gal. i had my 10 gallon with a handful of these and wow was it nice... guppys as a starter, i dont think its a good idea....they get boring pretty quick IMO

Yeah, I would nix the neons for a beginner. They die off pretty easy. There are tons of hardy tetras though. Black skirt tetras are extremely hardy! I'd also try to avoid guppies, platies, and mollies as they will multiply. Once the tank is cycled cories would be a great addition. They are quite active and there are lots of types to choose from. Also, very hardy.

Is your tank cycled? If so, you could lend him some gravel and do a fishless cycle.

He could do some cherry barbs. They are very colorful and fun to watch.

I was thinking this very thought, or you can toss a spare filter pad on top of your filter pad.. and let it get good and gunked up with bacteria.

id say do the filter thing.

and work on your aquascaping for a while get some plabts and the right lighting and see if you can keep from killing your plants before you try tp keep from killing your fish. then when you add your fish you wont have to stress them out adding plants later.

PS planted aquariums are awsome. lol

Back
Top Bottom