Rope fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afink1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have always loved the look of the rope fish. I have been reading mixed thoughts on them. Would a rope fish live happily with 2 angels, a rainbow shark, 2 plecos and 4 mollies?

I have always loved the look of the rope fish. I have been reading mixed thoughts on them. Would a rope fish live happily with 2 angels, a rainbow shark, 2 plecos and 4 mollies?
Or possibly an elephant nose fish? I like the oddball look.

Yes. The rope fish itself is very docile by nature. They should never be put with aggressive fish that would harm them, but what you have so far is fine. Don't forget some hiding places as they are mostly nocturnal. I also hope your tank is at least 50 gallons as they need swimming room and cover all openings around filters and things as they are escape artists. They also have both lungs and gills. The need an inch of surface between the lid and water to get occasional breaths of air. And since they have lungs, if they do manage to escape, don't panic, they can live a long time in open air. Just find it and put it back in the tank. Go ahead and get a rope fish. Enjoy.

Yes. The rope fish itself is very docile by nature. They should never be put with aggressive fish that would harm them, but what you have so far is fine. Don't forget some hiding places as they are mostly nocturnal. I also hope your tank is at least 50 gallons as they need swimming room and cover all openings around filters and things as they are escape artists. They also have both lungs and gills. The need an inch of surface between the lid and water to get occasional breaths of air. And since they have lungs, if they do manage to escape, don't panic, they can live a long time in open air. Just find it and put it back in the tank. Go ahead and get a rope fish. Enjoy.
Yes I have a 55 gallon. Would the rope fish be ok with Chum (my rainbow shark). I know they can be territorial. Would an elephant nose fish be a better choice?

Yes I have a 55 gallon. Would the rope fish be ok with Chum (my rainbow shark). I know they can be territorial. Would an elephant nose fish be a better choice?
Probably about the same, but without the risk of being a risk of escaping. The rainbow shark will chase away fish from it's territory before actually harming them. In most cases the reputation of the rainbow shark is overexagerated.

Back
Top Bottom