Rope Fish Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What should I do?

• Get a better tank

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Get a Rope Fish with no modifications

• Drain some water so he can breathe

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Eat him for lunch

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other (post in comments or PM me)

• Total voters

3x0t1c_331

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a 50 gallon tank because I want a Rope Fish and I heard that's how big they have to be to house one. But I have a few problems (don't worry, I haven't bought one yet). First, the tank water goes up to the top, and I know the Rope Fish need to breathe. It has a hole in the top that is escape-proof :cool: and takes up 3/4 of the tank's top. That hole is covered by a mesh but goes all the way out other than that. I know the RF could breathe through there, but I'm not sure he'll find it. I could also make it so the water doesn't reach the top, but I'm not sure if that will make the filter stop working. The tank is similar to the Fluval 6-gallon I used to have but bigger of course. And then there is the feeding schedule. From what I read he must be fed 1-3 times per week, and MUST have live food but CAN eat frozen or freeze-dried meats as well. So how much of each should I give him? A max and a min would be great. Also, please vote in the poll. :)

I'm using the app so I can't do the poll. However, I have two ropefish, (approximately 10" & 11") and they are by far my favorite fish of all time. I recommend you get two or more. In some areas they are harder to find, so if you can only get one, than get it and try to get another soon after.
FIRST they have to be able to stick their head out of the water in order to breath. I keep my tank water an inch below the top.
SECOND, be sure there are no holes they can get out of, and that they cannot get into your filter.
Third, as far as food, they can be picky; however, you do not have to do live food (although they usually love it). Again, I have two, as a staple, I feed mine daily..
-a single bloodworm frozen cube (1/2 x 3/4 x 1/2 inch cube)
-each a tubifex dry cube (5/8 x 5/8 x 5/8 inch cube)

They also like frozen mysis shrimp. Mine act a little aggressive (which is rare for a rope) if I put tiny earth worms in. A Molly in the tank got one once and that's the only time I saw my rope go after another fish, so I feed those carefully making sure only the ropefish get them. One of mine really likes tiny crickets, but the other one seems like they only want it if it's convenient. Also, ropefish find food by smell, not sight or water movement.

This is a link to a great article about them, however it states they can reach 3ft, but the largest I've heard of in an aquarium is 18". Also it says tiger barbs are fine with them, but I've seen occasions where the school of barbs bullied the ropes.

But seriously get at least 2 if not 3. They will be happier :) Also, they like to swim through tunnels and go in and out of caves. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389673195.783170.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389673238.960643.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1389673378.000663.jpg

Back
Top Bottom