Ropefish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

graucow

Aquarium Advice Activist
My rope fish used to always swim at the top of the tank to get freeze dried blood worms, but recently my mom cut down a tall plant and since the rope fish has not gone back up to the top for more than a second and when it does it seems very scared , another plant grew but the rope fish still won't swim to the top, is this because of the plant or is there another problem

It's environment changed and it spooked the ropefish. Give it a few weeks.
My ropefish had always been the most interactive fish I've ever owned, but a month or so ago I moved them into a larger tank (because they require a larger tank). They are just now starting to get comfortable and interactive again.
You could try tempting it a bit with a cricket, earthworm, or blood worms.
Also, do you have only one? Ropefish do much better in pairs or groups.

It's been about three weeks already so i have been feeding him frozen blood worms and hand feeding him, mine is very active often and will eat from my hand and let me pet him it seems almost like he Is scared to come to the top now but I don't know if it's because of the environment change or something else, also I only have one, I want a second one but I need to get rid of the bala sharks my mom put in there first and have nothing to do with them

My mom always changes my tank without my permission and I don't know why because it always has bad results

It's been about three weeks already so i have been feeding him frozen blood worms and hand feeding him, mine is very active often and will eat from my hand and let me pet him it seems almost like he Is scared to come to the top now but I don't know if it's because of the environment change or something else, also I only have one, I want a second one but I need to get rid of the bala sharks my mom put in there first and have nothing to do with them

Do your bala sharks mess with him? Or has their behavior changed since the plant was cut down.
Maybe he really liked that plant, I know mine have favorite spots and a couple plants they like to drape themselves over to hang out.
What size tank is it in?
How long have you had the ropefish?

I have had him for about 5 months and the behavior started right around the time the plant was cut, he is in a 40 gallon tank and the bala sharks don't mess with him but they are so easily startled and swim so fast that I think they may startle him

When did the bala sharks get introduced?
They may startle him, but mine never seem to care what any other fish are doing.
Also, you called it a him? How many dorsal fins/spikes does he have (before the tail)? Just curious because I've never had a male, both of mine are female.

Oh, I don't know if it's a him or a her never counted the dorsal spikes just always called it a him, and the bala's were introduced almost a year ago

It would seem as if the problem is the loss of the plant, it was a amazon sword plant with many other plants growing off it vertically so it was very tall and thick, I don't know if it will grow that way again although I thought it was really cool looking

It probably just liked the plant. I would get another ropefish as soon as you're able, because again, they like to be with more of their own. Plus, the bala sharks will eventually outgrow your tank.

So, if you count the dorsal spikes you can tell male from female. Males have 10 or more and females have 10 or less. Although it doesn't really matter since they don't breed in captivity.

I've read that and I think the bala's all ready have out grown it they are about 4 inches each I think but I'm really bad at estimating my fishes length and I think they need more room to swim

I haven't seen a ropefish in stores either I saw two but they looked unhealthy and bad weird patches on their skin

Oh and you really should try giving it a small cricket or earth worm. They go crazy for them. Just make sure your other fish don't get them, because the only time I've ever seen a ropefish be aggressive is when a fish got his worm. It's a good thing they are normally peaceful, because they can do a lot of damage even to a large fish.

Don't get them if they have patches on their skin, you don't want to bring any bad stuff into your tank. Surprisingly, I got mine from Petco. They ordered them for me.

Yeah I stay away from anything that looks sick like that, and I have to go pretty far to get something like a rope fish the only close pet stores to me have bad selection and quality, but there are 6 stores that are a short drive 30 minutes tops, where I can find some pretty good fish, and I've heard of a store that's an hour away but it is supposed to be really good

Also I read they love earth worms but my dad's friend who was a marine biologist said that it wouldn't be a good idea, although he doesn't have any rope fish expirence and I've read everywhere that they love them

I give mine one about once a month. I'd do it more often but it's tricky to give it to my ropefish without my angels getting any, and I've already seen what happens when another fish gets their worm. (Which is why I also won't give them a worm with my 7 yr old in the room.)

Will do, and I'll try to put the worm in a cave the rope fish likes to hang out in because it could kill anything in my tank and I hate to see that and would hate to have something die, where do you get your earthworms from you don't just dig them up do you

Back
Top Bottom