Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-05-2005, 08:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ros(e)y Barbs

I have heard different information on these fish. One place said they aren't as aggressive as commonly thought, another said as long as they are in a school of 5 or more they are peaceful fish. Another contraversy I found was size and temperature preferance, one says they grow to 2.5" and another said 6", one said they prefer temps between 64-72 F, and another said they are tropical (Is 64-72 degrees farenheit tropical?). Has anyone had experience with these guys, are they just a hardy breed?

5 orandas
5-20 mosquito fish
Jaxom_Ruatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2005, 09:31 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

They are a hardy breed, I have 8 of them in my 90 gal community tank. They are currently 3 inches long and are ferocious eaters. i was told that they can get to 6 inches in the wild. My tank is at 76 degrees F , PH is 7.4 and they get along with other occupants of the tank. HTH

Old 04-05-2005, 10:23 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Ditto on Rosey barbs being hardy... I have 3 in my 29 gallon and they are VERY active chasing each other around. I also have 17 Neon tetras and there's never been a show of agression towards them. Yes, definitely a school is needed as I bet if one is left alone, it'd prolly chase the less agressive tankmates around.
My water is typically 6.8 PH, 76 degrees F. Mine haven't grown past 2 inches and I've had them for about 2 yrs now.
They nip at my weaker plants.... that's my only complaint about them.

Tags
barb, barbs

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com