Rose Line 'Shark'

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fruitbat

Aquarium Advice Addict
Has anybody ever seen this fish before? It came in as a 'Rose Line Shark' and is one of the most stunningly gorgeous freshwater fish that I've ever seen. This one is about 3 inches long and the picture does NOT do its colors justice. The pink is almost fluorescent on the front half of the body and the back half is delicately hued with yellow. The forward part of the dorsal fin is colored the same fluorescent pink as the stripe on the forward part of the body. The yellow stripe/spot in the tail is brilliant! It has a couple of VERY tiny barbels. It comes from India. I know it is a Cyprinid of some sort but that's as far as I've gotten with the ID. Looks and acts like a big Rasbora but I can't find anything that comes close. This one is a toughie!!

cyprinidu1.jpg

Well I'll be DARNED!!! I KNEW I'd seen that one somewhere before. Of course that's what it is!! Puntius denisonii....I can't believe I didn't pick up on it when I saw the barbels!!!!! :oops: :roll:

Yes....it is one of mine....and I'm about to pick up another one tomorrow. Absolutely exquisite fish!!!

Thanks Endgame.....100 kudos to you!!!

It is about 3 inches long now....from what I've been able to find (now that Endgame319 has jogged my ancient and feeble memory) they get to about 6 inches when fully grown. They have not been bred in captivity by most accounts and are listed as Endangered (but not critically).

Yep....have to have another one of these in my tank...even if I only use it as a grow-out while waiting for the hopefully soon-to-be-purchased 72 gallon. They were US$32.99 per fish (yeah...yeah...I know). A friend of mine bought 2 of them today and I'm going to grab another tomorrow before they're all gone.

I'll try to get some better pictures! The color is exquisite!!!

Yep....$32.99....and now I have TWO!!! :D Unfortunately...nobody really knows how to tell the gender of the darn things with any certainty either!!!

Back
Top Bottom