Rosy barb behaviour question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cinnamaldehyde

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 6 neon rosy barbs in my 55gal tank, along with 3 julii corys and an albino bristlenose pleco.

I love that the barbs are super active, but I'm a bit worried about behaviour between 2 of them. On occasion, these 2 get into what seems like a fight, chasing each other round in circles. It doesn't seem like they are nipping or making contact, and they are being mutually aggressive, not like one is always chasing the other.

I'm just wondering if these occasional disagreements are common with barbs, or if I should be worried about it?

The other barbs just go about their own business.

welcome to AA!

I believe they are just trying to see who is the dominant one in the school. Nothing to worry about. It will happen ever so often.

Thanks for the welcome tyspot!

I've never had barbs before so I wasn't sure what was going on, but that makes sense.

I did however find one of my rosies this morning on it's side on the bottom or the tank, still breathing, but not moving, and my juliis were pecking at it. I thought for sure the other barb had attacked it. I scooped it out, put it in a 2.5gal with just room temp. water (temporary while my quarantine is cycling). When I came home it had perked right up, swimming around like normal, eating fine, everything.

????

Weird.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom