rosy barbs in a 10g?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gamma

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was given a 10 gal. set-up and just completed a fishless cycle (took 16 days, thanks for all the info. I found here) I really really wanted to put in a school of neon rosy barbs - nothing else - but some say they are too big or that is too many for a 10g. (Or is it that a 10g. is too small for almost anything!)

Do you think I could get away with 5 or 6 young rosy barbs, provided I move them to my 20g when I put my 2 goldies in the pond next spring?

Or should I just forget them and go with something else? I like black neon tetras - What about 5 or 6 of those?

Any advice would be appreciated, I'm new to this but I do already know the importance of not overstocking! Thanks, Allie

My rosy barbs grew very fast to full size of 2.5 to 3 inches. They are very active, and they are voracious eaters. I think 5 or 6 would feel very crowded very quickly. 3 or 4 might be ok though.

If you went for the tetras you would be fine - I started with tetras and they were very lively. They grow to about 4cm and grow slowly. Great starting fish :)

Back
Top Bottom