Rotating Decorations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blang

Aquarium Advice Freak
Every few weeks I rotate my decorations in my 15 gallon take. What kind of effect does this have on the fish? Is it best just to remove one piece at a time or can I rotate a few things at once.

Once I remove the ones from the tank, how is the best way to clean them?

And finally, what is the best way to store the decorations until your are ready to use them?

Why are you moving the plants...aggressive fish? IMO, if you have to, move one at a time.

Clean water...rinsing only...do not use any detergents!!!

Ziplock storage and when you're ready to use, rinse again.

It actually depends on the fish. I have a GSP (puffer) that I move his tank around (everything in it) at least once a month. He is a very active fish, and needs to be "entertained." This is the best thing that can be done to keep him busy, and let him be able to explore around without seeing the same old stuff!

As far as storing it, I agree with jchillin. Don't do anything to clean it other than rinse it with clean water. IMO you can store it in anything you want though, just rinse it again with hot water before you put it back in!

-brent

I take out the plants to clean the algae off. I find it easier to just take the decorations out and clean it at my conveniece. However, I made a big mistake yesterday. I put the clean plants back in the tank without washing them first. The tank is a little cloudy and the platys seem alittle stressed. Today I did a 15% water change and it looks a little better. I will probably do another small water change tomorrow.

Being a beginner is frustrating. I feel so bad I hope my little guys will be OK.

Right now I have 2 platys and 3 red-eye tetras.

Since you don't have anything to get rid of the algae (ie: catfish/snails) you're doing the right thing. You should be aware that you are overstocked a little also. Maybe a larger tank? Do you also perform water changes and test your water?

I'm overstocked with 3 tetras and 2 platys??? Isn't that 10 inches of fish for 15 gallons? Yes, I regularly test and do weekly water changes with vacuuming. Is it OK to do these small daily water changes until the water is clear again and then resume my weekly changes? The fish always seems to love it after I change the water.

Correction, you're not overstocked at this moment...just looking to the future since you have platies and unless they're the same sex, they usually reproduce quickly and with significant numbers. Does the algae also grow on the glass? You may need another medium to get it in control if this is true.

Yes, they are all males. I don't want to deal with any fry right now. I am having enough problems trying to get this tank stable. Yes, I have plans to get a dwarf bristlenose. I been battling ICK and haven't been able to add any more fish in quite awhile now. It's been 3 days since I stopped the medication and so far no scratching. I am hoping this is the last of it! Of course, I won't be adding any more fish for at least 2-3 weeks so I need to do the house cleaning.

I've been giving them aquai-sol, raising the heat to 82 degrees and removing the carbon. This last time I did it for 2 weeks so I am really hoping it's over with. It always seems to reappear in 3 days (at least the scratching) so let's keep our fingers crossed that I can make it past this day.

Fish sometimes just scratch, don't get too worried if you see a fish scratch once in a while. I've seen my fish glance off things once in a while and I've never had an outbreak of ich. I usually do a water change if I thinkt hey fish are acting funny and that usually helps.

Unfortunately, not only did I see some scratching the last couple of day, This morning I saw a white spot on one of the tetras by his eye. So, I decided to start the medication and this time, I added some salt to the tank.

i was told by our lfs and others here to use aguarium salt along with the heat. It really does work imo . I put 1 teaspoon per 5 gal that I put back in the tank. Also I use a stress coat to help them to stay calm if I do large water changes or adding new fish. I've had my tank for 4 months and went through ich several times and lost alot of fish in the process. Good Luck! I hate ich!!!!!

Well, so far everything is going well. This afternoon, I added a Molly and a dwarf pleco to the tank. The Molly came from my quarentine tank so I know he is healthy. Adding the Molly, however, has upset the hierachy on who's in charge. I just hope that this doesn't cause another case of ich. I am hoping the salt will prevent ich from reappearing.

Hey Blang...the combo of heat and salt over a few weeks should do the trick. Ich is a stubborn little mule and it shouldn't re-infect cured fish. Be sure to qt any new fish prior to placing in your tank.

I think the molly will be the HMOC (head man on campus) and soon everyone else will settle down.

Hi Blang...the combo of heat and salt over a few weeks should do the trick. Ich is a stubborn little mule and it shouldn't re-infect cured fish. Be sure to qt any new fish prior to placing in your tank.

I think the molly will be the HMOC (head man on campus) and soon everyone else will settle down.

That are my plans. Except I couldn't QT the Pleco as my QT doesn't have any algae yet and my 15 gallon was desperate for someone to come over and clean it.

I probably agree with you about the Molly. He is already chasing the tetras and not putting up with anything from the other two platys. Only time will tell.

Back
Top Bottom