Rubber lip pleco?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HairlessPotter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone have experience with these? I was wanting another fish that will eat algae and keep my tank clean and I know they sell them close by. I've looked them up a little but got a bunch of different info. How big do they usually get? Do they eat a lot of algae? Anything else i should know? Any information would be appreciated

Id go with a bristle nose they work hard and look really cool and only get to be about 5". The rubber lip is cool and all but a bristle thats the way to go. Of course that is my opinion

Bristlenose and Rubberlip are both small plecos I think they only grow 2". Make sure you have plenty of algae for ottos.. Also, it is hard to supplement algae wafers to the ottos.. They are extremely sensitive fish ( lost 3 in under 24hrs). Wish you the best of luck.

Oh didn't know that. I have plenty of algae for now but I was planing on getting algae wafers later, hopefully that'll work. But I only have 2 of them in a 40gal and have the lights on a lot so they should have enough algae to eat

Feed them blanched zucchini, spinach or squash. If your rank is not well established you may lose your ottos. Places get about 4-5" in size.

HairlessPotter said:
Ok thanks. Their doing good so far, so we'll see

Hi potter! I wanna say! Good choice in choosing ottos! They are amazing! They are pretty hardy if u acclimate and treat them right for the first 2-3 weeks. Sounds like you acclimated them properly. and now all u have to do is make sure Ur nitrate stays low, I've read that it's best for nitrate to stay below 10ppm. My nitrate is always below 10 because of my plants so I can't say if how they thrive above that. Also make sure Ur temp and most importantly ph stays constant! Make sure there's no huge swings! :)

What kinda fish do u have other than Otto in that 40g? They take some time to get used to new food like algae wafers and blanched zucchinis. For me I couldn't feed them Algae wafers until my Betta was moved! Only then will they start eating it. Blanched zucchinis I leave in there for 48 hours then remove any remainders. I normally feed once lights is out! :)

I hope I helped u! My 3 Ottos Thrived nicely! :)

Thanks for the info! Right now my nitrates are very low so I should be fine. And my ph and temp are very constant, ph is high though cuz my tap water. In the tank with them are 5 tiger barbs, 2 dwarf gouramis, a senegal bichir, and a black ghost knife. At first the barbs chased them a little but after an hour they all seem to be doing great together. I'll watch closely and do what I can to make sure they are doing well :) thanks for the help

How many ottos would be good in a 40g? Right now I have 2 and there's plenty of algae if I look close at the rocks and gravel. The ones I have right now have done a great job at cleaning up my fake plants though. I was just wondering if I should get more or not? And if so how many would be good?

My rubber lip is so boring and sits in his cave all day. he dosent even suck on the glass

I ended up going with ottos instead and they are always swimming around sucking onto everything. I like them a lot

HairlessPotter said:
I ended up going with ottos instead and they are always swimming around sucking onto everything. I like them a lot

nice choice. i might get one.

I recommend getting a couple, their great so far. Just make sure your tank is well cycled and all cuz everyone says they die often in the first couple weeks

HairlessPotter said:
I recommend getting a couple, their great so far. Just make sure your tank is well cycled and all cuz everyone says they die often in the first couple weeks

Yes the tank is well established. how big is your tank and how many do you have?

I have a 40g with 2. I'm wondering if I should get more though cuz they stay very small, I just dont know how many more I should get

If you a 40 gallon you can get a ton more. What other fish are in the tank besides the ottos?

Another option are pitbull plecos. they stay small, but slightly bigger than otos. They like groups and they are fabulous eaters. I have found them to be less finicky than otos.

Besides ottos I have tiger barbs, dwarf gouramis, senegal bichir, and a black ghost knife. I know I can at least get a few more but I just want enough to keep the algae well controlled.

Back
Top Bottom