rubber lip pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eastennessee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought a rubber lip pleco today on the advice of a group. Can anyone tell me where I can find some "official" information on him. I looked at planetcatfish.com, but he isn't listed under common names. There is a rubber nose pleco but I don't think it's the same one. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks.

i'm not sure of any sites that may have info on him (aside from fishprofiles.com (?)) but, i do know a little bit about them. in the wild they live in fast-flowing mountain streams so they require highly oxygenated water. i believe they prefer water that's a little on the cooler side, and are sensitive to nitrates. they suck algae/micro-organisms off of the rocks that they cling to in order to avoid being sucked downstream. i believe (but i'm not positive) that they prefer water around a neutral pH and on the softer side. they max out at about 5 or 6 inches long and will thrive on a diet of algae, spinach, zuccinni, algae wafers, etc... it is also a good idea to offer driftwood. for anything more specific (ie: breeding, etc...) i'm afraid you'll have to hunt that info down elsewhere. hope i helped!

I have a little Rubber Lipped Pleco. He's about 3 inches long and has been thriving for 2 months now in my 55 gal. I keep my temp higher, he shows no signs of discomfot (79-80 degrees F) I also have harder water and again, he shows no signs of discomfort. Very active in the morning, at feeding time, and again at night. Enjoys eating algae lots and lots...he also enjoys long walks in the park and hanging upside down inside caves and under rocks...LOL. Great little guys. I've read they grow to 8 inches...we'll see.

actually, I believe I have determined mine to me a Striped Rubbernose or Striped Rubber Pleco. The main difference being that they only get up to 4 inches. That's what the sign at the pet store said about length and he looks like the picture at planet catfish. Thanks everyone.

Back
Top Bottom