Rubber lip plecos are lazy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markstanfill

Aquarium Advice Activist
Anyone else have a rubberlip pleco that is as lazy as they come? Guy doesnt suck glass, plants, driftwood... nothing. Ive had him for months and he just chills under a rock and eats algae wafers. OMG lazy. But dont try to steal his wafer, he will whip your butt.

I have a rubber lip....and he constantly is all over everything. Mine actually doesn't even go after algae flakes and rarely even notices the zucchini I put in on occassion. My angels end up eating both in time. Mine is still young though, and measures only 2.5 inches.

How old is yours? Perhaps they get lazy with age.

The guy is about two inches long, if that. And the tank is an herbivore wonderland. Got him about 3 months ago and hes always been that way. Figured it was just because it was a new environment but after that long im thinking hes just taking the easy way out. I wouldnt supplement with the wafers except I like to keep my otos fat. A fat oto is a happy one it seems.

Last edited:
Maybe he had no algae in the tanks he was raised in and has always eaten flakes. My otos also don't even bother with the algae wafers. They are all scouring the algae in my tank and are all plump as can be.

I think you got a bumm rubberlip who mighta been raised on algae pellets lol. Oh well, at least he is amusing with his food guarding behaviour.

I like my little rubberlip. He spends a decent amount of time doing algae cleaning of both the tank and plants. He also loves to hide out in the caves I've built him or under driftwood.

What other fish do you have in the tank with him?

I see mine maybe once a month, and only at night. All he does is uproot my plants. <He clears a patch of sand just outside his hiding driftwood "cave".> I have not noticed too much difference in the algae. I suspect he is eating my plants instead! :(

Careful yoh, some of the rubberlip pleco fish might suck on other fish skin and cause little injury...

Back
Top Bottom