Rubberlip pleco food question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well,
I am kinda confused about my pleco's eating or should I say not eating of the stuff I am putting in the tank for her. The first night I was concerned as I thought her tummy looked kinda sunken. I was later told by other members who saw her tummy that it didn't really look sunken. Anyway, on her first night here I sunk a miniature algae wafer (not the ones the size of a nickel) and a piece of blanched zucchini. Next morning, untouched. Last night I sunk two very small pieces of sinking shrimp pellet and it landed on the rock formation. I thought for sure she would that and it would be gone this morning. Nope. I really don't notice her coming off of the glass at all. And, the zucchini is also still in there, untouched looking. I have only seen her in the substrate once, right after I brought her home and the rock formation as well, just when I brought her home. I haven't seen her come off of the walls since then. But, she doesn't look starving. What gives? Is this normal pleco behavior. Could it possibly be that she doesn't like those THREE foods that I offered her? I know that they do sometimes need time to adjust to their new surroundings, but I thought for sure last night she would eat those shrimp pellets. Any ideas, suggestions.....

How long has it been in your tank? I haven't read any of your other posts, sorry.

I would give it some time to see if he/she comes around to eating what is offered. Is there any algae in the tank that it might be nibbling on at night? I know my syno didn't like anything I gave it for the first 3 days and then it made quick work of anything I dropped in, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, zucc., etc.

How long has it been in your tank? I haven't read any of your other posts, sorry.

I would give it some time to see if he/she comes around to eating what is offered. Is there any algae in the tank that it might be nibbling on at night? I know my syno didn't like anything I gave it for the first 3 days and then it made quick work of anything I dropped in, algae wafers, shrimp pellets, zucc., etc.
Thanks meegosh! That makes me feel better as she has only been in the tank for her third day now. So, I won't worry too much yet.

Well, another night, and no eating of food provided by me. I dropped another algae wafer (small) in the tank last night after lights out and it is still there this morning. It's like she refuses to get off of the sides of the tank. I haven't seen her go into the substrate at all except right when I brought her home. What gives? I'm starting to get worried about her. This tank has only been up and running with plants in it for a month, I can't believe she has enough algae on the sides of the tank to keep her happy and well fed, but she looks her normal self this morning, swimming all over the sides, as usual!

When feeding the fresh veggies, did you try blanching them first? Most need to be softened up a bit to make them ready for feeding.

Yep...the zucchini was blanched first. I am going to try to pick up some vegie clips hoping that if they are on the side of the tank she will find them quicker since she doesn't seem to want to come off of the glass.

Back
Top Bottom