Rubbermaid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr.waffles1842

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So i decided it was time to tear down my old QT tank (5 gallons) so i can get a livebearer tank. Only thing is, i will need a replacement QT tank. My current tank is housing a new betta for the time being. Once i DO tear it down, i think i have a replacement tank. However, i need to know if its safe for fish use. I read the AA article on QT tanks, and i saw rubbermaid containers can be used as QT tanks. Its great, because i have a fresh, unused one at home. However, can i use it? Is it usuable i mean? ive heard it shouldnt be mildew resistant somewhere. Maybe the article? plz advise.

Have you used the search feature on this site yet? Or a search engine?

The answer is that it depends. Research the make / model / composition of your specific "rubbermaid" container. Apologies if it is a rubbermaid brand name, but that is used as a generic term a lot. If it is, it should be much easier for you to research.

Thanks! oh, by the way, when i said livebearer tank, i meant a fry tank. sorry, just a slip of the ummmmm.... keyboard....

Rubbermaid Latching Clear Storage Tote - Clear/ Green (30 Qt)

Thats the one i bought. do you know if its safe? ill post a pic next.

rubbermaid-latching-clear-storage-tote-green-30-qt_11814393_175.jpg

This is is! its fairly sturdy, but i still want to know if it can be considered "safe"

I would worry about chemicals leeching out of the plastic maybe (?) especially with possible interactions with medications or salts you may put in the water.

I think the standard is whether or not it is food safe. There are some initials stamped in the bottom of the container. I can't remember what the food safe indication is....F.S.?.?. Maybe just google the name of the container and add food safe and see what you get.

IME I think it would be ok maybe try cleaning it out first with distilled white vinegar and then rinsing it real well.
I fill 2 of these 40 gallon plastic totes weekly with water for all my pwc on all my tanks and have never had any problems. But then again I just use these for pwc and not to actually store fish in, so not real sure.

But then again I don't think any chemicals would leak out or anything from the plastic as long as it's not kept in extreme temperatures. For example I keep mine in the basement so it stays about 75 degrees.

If it's a QT I wouldn't bother putting anything in it till you need to QT something.

I have several 20g utility tubs with fish in them outside, been there for months and all doing fine. I've not had any issues with any plastic tubs/tanks leaching anything that I know of, but who knows.

I use them all the time, winter, summer,spring,fall...
for fish/fry/shrimp/snails... nothing wrong with them...
i got 10 bins outside with live plants and fish... all happy...

I looked it up, seems safe. if anyone knows any safe disease treatments, please PM me. All i know is salt and one based on copper. the copper one? killed my fish within the hour. Thanks!

If it's a QT I wouldn't bother putting anything in it till you need to QT something.

I have several 20g utility tubs with fish in them outside, been there for months and all doing fine. I've not had any issues with any plastic tubs/tanks leaching anything that I know of, but who knows.

That sounds great! however, what about the nitrogen cycle? if i add fish/ plants in a school of 6, wont i be killing them? or do you mean if i add only 1-2 fish at a time?

Back
Top Bottom