ruby sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

archiekiera

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have two ruby sharks and one is never letting the other one out of hiding? They are in a community tank with 3 angel fish 6 molly's 2 frogs 2 pleccos 132 litre 3ft tank

hmmm sounds like a general disscusion question......dosnt have alot to do with diy huh?

I have two ruby sharks and one is never letting the other one out of hiding? They are in a community tank with 3 angel fish 6 molly's 2 frogs 2 pleccos 132 litre 3ft tank

This is roughly 35 gallons. Considering each shark will require 75 gallons, I think I can see why you have an issue. This tank is also too small for 3 angelfish. What species of pleco do you have?

who says they need 75 gallons they are in a tiny tank in the fish shops around a tenth of the size of my tank and there is like ten sharks?

who says they need 75 gallons they are in a tiny tank in the fish shops around a tenth of the size of my tank and there is like ten sharks?

+1 with LyndaB ... Ruby sharks ... Aka rainbow sharks need larger tanks... I'd say 55gl at minimum... A 75gal is better with plenty of plants, rocks DW and ornaments. As juveniles.. Which is generally how they are sold at an LFS.. they'll tolerate each other. As they mature, their territorial aggression kicks. Two in a small tank as they mature could mean all out war.

They were fine in a tiny tank then got a 3ft tank bowfronted and now they got more room one has got big n the other just hides n comes out at night?

Actually, I say they need 75 gallons. This is from my personal experience having owned one.

Fish stores keep them in small tanks because it is a short-term setup. It's a little naive to believe that these stores could appropriately house every species they have. When you house them long-term, you must take into consideration the environment they require at their adult size.

One of yours is hiding constantly because the tank is too small for two of them. We're really trying to help you with your issue, but we can only help if you're not combative.

I had mine in a 45. He had this log that he claimed as his territory and he guarded it. Try to put some logs in or other hiding places. Btw he is now in a 150 :)

They were fine in a tiny tank then got a 3ft tank bowfronted and now they got more room one has got big n the other just hides n comes out at night?

Probably.. Or probably not. I'd say the latter...it could be hiding from the other RBS and maybe comes out in the dark. If their still maturing, their territorial aggression will only heighten. Then it'll probably be all out war. Keep on mind in a tank that size, any fighting between rhe two RBS will also involve and stress the other fish.

Ok thank you all for suggestions i will try n train them to get on will let u know how i get on the angel fish all get on ok

Back
Top Bottom