Rummy Nose Tetra and Corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

swimwithme

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok, I've read that these types of fish can't be in the same tank due to the fluctuation of water temps that each prefer. Has anyone had experience with keeping Corys and Rummies together?

I have a 40 gallon (36"x18x15") and I was thinking of the panda or skunk corys. In case you needed to know that. :)

That's a first for me. I keep my rummies at 78 and my corys (separate tanks) at 76. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to be kept in the same tank.

That's a first for me. I keep my rummies at 78 and my corys (separate tanks) at 76. Not sure why they wouldn't be able to be kept in the same tank.

Ok, thanks! I was thinking of getting the rummies for my schooling fish. I'm just doing research before hand. I thought if anywhere I could get someone's personal experience from here instead of relying on the internet.

I also have about a dozen rummies..... be sure to end up with a decent size school. They definitely find safety in numbers.

Is this a new tank?

Anything in there right now?

Yes, new tank and no, nothing is in there. I'm not quite ready for fish yet. I'm just researching so when I am ready I'll know what best suits my tank.

:love: Did I mention that I love you for doing your research ahead of time!!!! Mwwwwwwwwwwwwwah!

Rummies are very sensitive, so you'd have to be sure to have rock-solid params in this tank. Corys, from what I've heard, can be sensitive, too.

Thanks....:cool:

Ok, so what about the flame or black phantom tetras?

Since I'm new to all this, I want something that is a little hardier and forgives minor mistakes a newby might make:D

When I first started, I had red eye and serpae tetras, then I had some black phantom. I would say those are all much hardier than the rummies. I'd have the serpaes again. Some people say they are nippy, but I never experienced that. The red eyes are mean amongst themselves. The black phantoms were pretty much just like the serpaes.

I did see the long finned serpae tetras and those are pretty neat looking. I'll have to do some research on them.

I kept rummies (I got from my LFS) and had 12 in a 10 gallon for about 6 months, only 1 died, and then I gave them to my little cousin for her 20g tall and they lived for a long time, over 2 years, and only a couple died. She didnt take great care of her tank either. But thats just me exp with them.

NYgiantsRP said:
I kept rummies (I got from my LFS) and had 12 in a 10 gallon for about 6 months, only 1 died, and then I gave them to my little cousin for her 20g tall and they lived for a long time, over 2 years, and only a couple died. She didnt take great care of her tank either. But thats just me exp with them.

Have to say I haven't found mine to be sensitive either. I bought 11two months ago and still have all of them! But them maybe I'm just lucky.

I have not found my rummies to be particularly sensitive either. I keep them and a whole herd of corys (plus other fish) in my 40g tall tank at about 78-80 degrees without an issue. IME, smaller corys can be a little sensitive, but nothing extreme. :) I have had a couple problems recently wiht my water params and the corys perked up really fast again after water changes. :)
My experience with both serpaes and red-eyes is that they are nippy. But, that doesn't necessarily matter depending on what you have with them. My angels don't like being nipped and they get aggressive with the little nippers, so I don't suggest angels, gouramis, bettas or other long-finned fish with serpaes. JMO. :)

Back
Top Bottom