Rummy Nose Versus Cory?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

locked word

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I feel foolish even saying this - but my rummy nose tetras are bullying my poor corys! There is a huge piece of coral in the middle of the tank where I see the corys taking to from time to time - now I think I know why....... The rummy noses seem to be dive bombing the corys for their own amusement. Will this be detrimental to the corys? More specifically, I am worried about it stressing them out and making them vulnerable to diseases. I have four live plants, but none of them are really lush enough for fish to hide in - should I be adding other hiding spots?! Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I would add hiding places if you don't have any. That should make them a little more comfortable. What kind of cories are they?

I will 3rd the adding of hiding spots .. but i will go a step further and say maybe have a 2 exit/entrance spot.

Adding more plants may also help so long as they off adequate hiding/relaxation for the corydoras. If you do add more hiding spots, you may not see your corys for some time as well and maybe not at all.

If you are worried about damage it really depends on the species of cory. most have a nice hard outer shell to protect them but some don't have quite as tough as an outside. Another option may be to add more rummy noses ... I found that when I had them that they were a terror unless in a huge shoal.

if you want to add more plants, try finding some broad-leafed variaties. like a sword, if you have a big enoguh tank, or anubias or crypts for a smaller tank.

I am not sure what kind of corys they are (blush) - spotted?
I have a 29 gallon tank with one huge piece of coral that has at least four 'tunnels' in it. I think I will go with the general consensus and provide more hiding spaces.

I might well go with the idea of more rummys too - maybe it'll keep them occupied .....

Thanks very much guys.

Back
Top Bottom