Rummy-Nosed Tetras?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oscarr19

Aquarium Advice Addict
I want to add them to my 32G but i've heard that they are REALLY sensitive and die off quickly.

They should do ok in a fully matured tank, but it is common to lose a few when you first introduce them because they do not always travel well and it takes them longer to adjust to a new environment than some other species. Once they are settled in, they should be reasonably hardy though. IME.

Did u see my post?? I got some
B4 I heard how sensitive they were...then I freaked out!!! I got seven last Monday and I believe I still have seven. They are staying hid a whole lot and do tend to stress easy. I drip acclimated them and that worked out well :) make sure u have plenty of hiding spaces and I would give them a couple weeks to settle in...

What are some other types of tetra that are just as nice? I like the fact that the rummies have a red face and zebra fin. Neat little fish.

I have silver tip tetras. They reach about 2 inches and are typical peaceful, schooling tetras. Cute little guys though. The tips of their tails are white and it looks really cool to watch them dart around. I also have red-eyed tetras. Not quite as pretty as rummy-nose, but very hardy. IME.

Cardinal tetras are cool... Colombians are pretty nice. There are lemon tetras...
I like flame tetras too!!! Oh oh blue tetras are awesome! I love me some rummynose though :)

I might go with my original plan of lemon tetras. Not sure yet I might still get rummies. It'll probably be a decision made at my LFS.

Find captive bred specimens and you'll be fine. It's the wild caught ones that die like crazy. Same goes for cardinals.

I think u should go for rummy nose and cardinals :) hehehe

Well this is my planned stock:
1 Angel
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Peppered Cories
3 Otos

Would i have space for 2 small schools of tetra? I'm kind of liking the idea of the rummy nose and cardinals.

Yep I totally agree. In fact if you had a big enough tank and had cories already that's a pretty good discus setup right there :)

Most cories do not do well in the long term with the high temps that discus need. That's why sterbai are such a popular choice- they are one of the few species that can hack it in a tank that's 85 degrees.

Well this is my planned stock:
1 Angel
2 Bolivian Rams
6 Peppered Cories
3 Otos

Would i have space for 2 small schools of tetra? I'm kind of liking the idea of the rummy nose and cardinals.

Depends. How big is the tank?

Most cories do not do well in the long term with the high temps that discus need. That's why sterbai are such a popular choice- they are one of the few species that can hack it in a tank that's 85 degrees.

That's true. Forgot to mention discus like 86 degree water or something. My bad. :)

bruinsbro1997 said:
Well IMO you could fit one of the schools in there, but not two I think that'd be pushing it.

I'm running a fluval 205 and ac50 it it'll make much of a difference.

Back
Top Bottom