Rummynose tetra concern!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would start getting live low Tech plants abs get the scale going then worry about the fish tbh, that way if there is something wrong with the tank (illness, water parameters, parasites) you will only have 8 fish to worry about not 14, I don't know if you're into the live pants and drift wood look but fish like their tanks to look kind their natural habitat

I already have that, the tanks decorated with slate and driftwood and there are live plants too

Rummies are sensitive. I don't know if you drip acclimated them, if not that might have been part of them being shocked.

I would keep testing water. Do weekly PWCs and wait at least a week or 2 before adding new fish.

110L = 29g.

Don't change out filter pads...just rinse in used tank water or conditioned tap water. Re use till they fall apart.

What kind of substrate ?

Cories are one of my favorite fishes.

The common species are the easiest to keep usually. Pandas are more sensitive. But C aeneus ( bronze Cory)
, C trilineatus ( sold as C julii or false Julii) are great.

Just research before you buy.

Add slowly. I'd get 3 Cories ....wait... test water...watch fish. In a week or 2 add 2-3 more.

Do your homework. Don't pick something on looks alone. Rummynose are usually added last to a well established tank. So keep an eye on water quality.

Research adult size. Emeral "Cory" are a Brochis splendens that get larger than most Cories.

You could also look at C habrosus. They stay an inch and love planted tanks. They are more sensitive than the big Cories, but very hardy once they are established. Since they are tiny you could probably do 8 of them.

IMG_0297.jpg

Rummies are sensitive. I don't know if you drip acclimated them, if not that might have been part of them being shocked.

I would keep testing water. Do weekly PWCs and wait at least a week or 2 before adding new fish.

110L = 29g.

Don't change out filter pads...just rinse in used tank water or conditioned tap water. Re use till they fall apart.

What kind of substrate ?

Cories are one of my favorite fishes.

The common species are the easiest to keep usually. Pandas are more sensitive. But C aeneus ( bronze Cory)
, C trilineatus ( sold as C julii or false Julii) are great.

Just research before you buy.

Add slowly. I'd get 3 Cories ....wait... test water...watch fish. In a week or 2 add 2-3 more.

Do your homework. Don't pick something on looks alone. Rummynose are usually added last to a well established tank. So keep an eye on water quality.

Research adult size. Emeral "Cory" are a Brochis splendens that get larger than most Cories.

You could also look at C habrosus. They stay an inch and love planted tanks. They are more sensitive than the big Cories, but very hardy once they are established. Since they are tiny you could probably do 8 of them.

View attachment 295248

I've done my research but you can never get too many opinions when it comes to stocking. Thanks

What would your opinion be on adding 4 zebra danios and 4 leopard danios? Would they school together? I'm getting mixed responses really.

Cories are hard to take care of and require very pristine water, one of the few fish that do not handle nitrates, they recommend a planted tank, cannot disturb the substrate a lot when doing a water change

Just remember if you go with schooling fish they recommend 6 but the low number is 3 of that same fish meaning you have to watch the bio load because you will have min 11 max 14 if you go full 6 which is recommended as they do better.

Do not get barbs, rummies are good in a tank with calm friendlies companions

Found some usual info while looking for tank Size requirements

About your rummie turning pale

When the fish is stressed, its red coloring gets pale significantly. The fish’s flesh fin and fluke are whitish, when the other fins are completely transparent

???
Cories are not hard to take care of in my experience.

They need clean substrate. They appreciate smooth sand, but can live on gravel.

They are So American so they like driftwood and live plants with some shaded areas.

They need sinking food and a decent variety of meat based foods.

Some like cool temps, some like warm temps.

Weekly partial water changes, either gravel vac if needed or wave the siphon in a circle to stir up and get rid of detritus. Planted tanks you don't want to over clean substrate, but decent flow will also help keep substrate from being stagnant.

In planted tanks we run Nitrates around 20-40 I believe ? My Cories seemed just fine with it.

https://youtu.be/JrLx1mKDObY

I've done my research but you can never get too many opinions when it comes to stocking. Thanks

What would your opinion be on adding 4 zebra danios and 4 leopard danios? Would they school together? I'm getting mixed responses really.

What is your current total stock ?
Is it just the 8 RN Tetras ?

I personally avoid Danios except the tiny ones. Zebras and Leapards are pigs. They zoom around and upset the peaceful fish. They hog all the food. My club member has a tank with about 20 Leopard Danios. All the other fish hide and the Danios grab all the food they can get. He had to spot feed the other fish.

This is his tank...not mine and he regrets the Danios. Lovely fish, but disruptive.

IMG_3266.jpg

I like large groups of just a few species.

My 55g has 15 Neons
Cory sterbai
4 Roselines
1 Pearl Gourami.

In a 29g ? I'd stick with maybe 1 other school of fish. Then Cories or Kuhli Loaches on the bottom.

Cardinals or Neons maybe ? Something peaceful.
Harlequins, Cherry Barbs, etc...

What is your current total stock ?
Is it just the 8 RN Tetras ?

I personally avoid Danios except the tiny ones. Zebras and Leapards are pigs. They zoom around and upset the peaceful fish. They hog all the food. My club member has a tank with about 20 Leopard Danios. All the other fish hide and the Danios grab all the food they can get. He had to spot feed the other fish.

This is his tank...not mine and he regrets the Danios. Lovely fish, but disruptive.

View attachment 295251

I like large groups of just a few species.

My 55g has 15 Neons
Cory sterbai
4 Roselines
1 Pearl Gourami.

In a 29g ? I'd stick with maybe 1 other school of fish. Then Cories or Kuhli Loaches on the bottom.

Cardinals or Neons maybe ? Something peaceful.
Harlequins, Cherry Barbs, etc...

Just an idea but thanks, sounds good yeah but I would like at least one stand out fish , any suggestions ?

I don't believe in Centerpiece fish. A stunning school of Rummynose is just as visual as a single Gourami to me.

I haven't kept a Gourami in years till I got my Pearl in my 55g.

My 10g had multiple groups.

My Cories are my puppies with fins.

Very few fish are good as single fish.

I don't believe in Centerpiece fish. A stunning school of Rummynose is just as visual as a single Gourami to me.

I haven't kept a Gourami in years till I got my Pearl in my 55g.

My 10g had multiple groups.

My Cories are my puppies with fins.

Very few fish are good as single fish.

So no Danios? Would 6 still cause carnage?

So no Danios? Would 6 still cause carnage?

It's your tank. You will be the one enjoying it.

If not Danios you might look at Threadfin Rainbows. Very peaceful. Males flash their fins at the girls.

If you do get Danios they are good looking fish and typically very hardy.

They don't kill other fish, but they can be annoying. But plenty of people here love them [emoji1360]

Back
Top Bottom