Rummynose tetra concern!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamie1234

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've added 8 Rummynose tetra to my 110 litre tank! They're the only fish in there! Half of them have lost there colour in their tail and I don't know what to do. One of them has left the shoal and is on his own floating. Please help

How old is the tank? Is it cycled? How are the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What is the temperature?
All of these factors could have something to do with it.
How long have you had the fish? Have they seemed like they were ill before?

How old is the tank? Is it cycled? How are the levels of ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate? What is the temperature?
All of these factors could have something to do with it.
How long have you had the fish? Have they seemed like they were ill before?

The tank is cycled, 1 month old, ammonia and nitrite aren't present, low nitrates, 27 degrees , brand new fish got them like 2 hours ago.

As they are so new some fish lose colour due to stress they may just need to settle in but keep an eye on your parameters as they are the first fish you will see ammonia and nitrite spikes

As they are so new some fish lose colour due to stress they may just need to settle in but keep an eye on your parameters as they are the first fish you will see ammonia and nitrite spikes

I can't believe it, I just came up to see the fish and they've all perked up completely. The outcast fish has got all its colour back and is schooling. They're now exploring the whole tank too.

There's one Rummynose however which doesn't school it goes round alone, is that normal?

Yeah stress of moving to a new tank plus shipping or bagging up from a shop can cause fish to lose colouration they will be back to normal soon the "outcast" should rejoin in time I can hope for you

Glad to hear your fish are doing better. New arrivals often take a while to settle in.

I agree dreaming I got some very emaciated angels once took them 4 weeks to settle in put weight back on and colour up fully

Glad to hear your fish are doing better. New arrivals often take a while to settle in.

It was just strange to see the one fish floating on his own with absolutely no colour whatsoever not moving at all... everything appears to be fine now.

Yeah my candy cane tetras were the same way, they would hide in my plants, now they just swim everywhere

Rummy noses are known to have problems like this, unfortunately. Possibly you added more at once than filter could handle. Good luck.whartvare tank parameters, ammonia and such.

Rummy noses are known to have problems like this, unfortunately. Possibly you added more at once than filter could handle. Good luck.whartvare tank parameters, ammonia and such.
It was just then in shock from being out in the tank, they are im assuming fine now

Any tbh but if you want a tight schooling fish like the rummies I would go with bleeding heart they don't school as tight or harlequin Rasboras, but you only have a 110 liter I wouldn't go to much more

Any tbh but if you want a tight schooling fish like the rummies I would go with bleeding heart they don't school as tight or harlequin Rasboras, but you only have a 110 liter I wouldn't go to much more

What about some corys

Cories are hard to take care of and require very pristine water, one of the few fish that do not handle nitrates, they recommend a planted tank, cannot disturb the substrate a lot when doing a water change

Just remember if you go with schooling fish they recommend 6 but the low number is 3 of that same fish meaning you have to watch the bio load because you will have min 11 max 14 if you go full 6 which is recommended as they do better.

Do not get barbs, rummies are good in a tank with calm friendlies companions

Found some usual info while looking for tank Size requirements

About your rummie turning pale

When the fish is stressed, its red coloring gets pale significantly. The fish’s flesh fin and fluke are whitish, when the other fins are completely transparent

Cories are hard to take care of and require very pristine water, one of the few fish that do not handle nitrates, they recommend a planted tank, cannot disturb the substrate a lot when doing a water change

Just remember if you go with schooling fish they recommend 6 but the low number is 3 of that same fish meaning you have to watch the bio load because you will have min 11 max 14 if you go full 6 which is recommended as they do better.

Do not get barbs, rummies are good in a tank with calm friendlies companions

Found some usual info while looking for tank Size requirements

About your rummie turning pale

When the fish is stressed, its red coloring gets pale significantly. The fish’s flesh fin and fluke are whitish, when the other fins are completely transparent

I'd just like a bottom dweller to make it more interesting

I would start getting live low Tech plants abs get the scale going then worry about the fish tbh, that way if there is something wrong with the tank (illness, water parameters, parasites) you will only have 8 fish to worry about not 14, I don't know if you're into the live pants and drift wood look but fish like their tanks to look kind their natural habitat

Back
Top Bottom