Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2019, 01:30 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Rummynose tetras became shy?

I was fascinated and in love when I first got my rummynose tetras, they were super active and really brought my tank to life! They encouraged all my other fish to come out and it was great. Now, they’re always hiding in a corner! It’s been a few months like this now... the only thing I can think of that changed is I added some Bolivian rams, 2 at first and now it’s up to 6. Another thing is I added a second light for the plants. Could either of these be the problem, and can I fix it?

90 gallon
20 rummynose tetras
2 angelfish
15 Odessa barbs
6 Bolivian rams
2 bristlensoe pelcos
1 black red tail shark
3 pearl Gouramis

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6289.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	256.3 KB
ID:	314513

Picture is a little old, the opaline Gouramis have since been switched out to pearls and more Bolivians have been added, tank set up is otherwise pretty much the same.

Old 11-24-2019, 12:39 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've had fish that weren't used to brighter lights and when I introduced them they hid for awhile. Also, the Angelfish could have decided they don't like the Rummynose school.

Old 11-24-2019, 06:00 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
I've had fish that weren't used to brighter lights and when I introduced them they hid for awhile. Also, the Angelfish could have decided they don't like the Rummynose school.

How long would it reasonably take for them to get used to the brighter lights? Would it be worth testing the theory out by turning one of theM off for a week?
I’ve had angels in there for many years, but one of them is new so it’s possible something changed there, I have a feeling I have 2 males this time instead of a pair.
Old 11-25-2019, 09:31 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would just watch from a good distance while the lights are off and see if they come out.
Old 11-30-2019, 02:08 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laser View Post
I would just watch from a good distance while the lights are off and see if they come out.

Okay, so I turned off just the light in the back and they did start to swim back and forth more, but not so much up, but maybe they would take more time. They don’t seem to come out more when the light is dim or not as intense, only when it is off, and the front light doesn’t bother them. When both are off they go to “sleep” is there a way to keep both lights for the plants but make the rummies more active again? I have water lettuce and stuff on some of the top already creating some shade...
Old 12-01-2019, 11:26 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think they will get used to the light eventually.

As long as you can rule out any bullying, such as what happens at 0:48 in this video. It only takes a second, but it could keep the rummynose in hiding.

https://youtu.be/iv_GMQkZ-Y0
Old 12-03-2019, 01:34 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

It’s been a few months already and they’re not used to it if that’s the problem. I’ll try and post a video of my tank in action, but I don’t think there’s any real bullying going on, if anyone I’d guess the gouramis, because all the others will occasionally hang out in the corner with them and my angels are pretty mellow.
Old 12-04-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, here’s a video I made, they’re a little active in the beginning because I just fed them, and then it is a good example of how they usually are about halfway through where they just sit in the corner most of the time and occasionally come out to the middle and then run back to the corner, seemingly unprovoked.
https://youtu.be/63QeiJHpKYw

Tags
nose, rummynose, tetra, tetras

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com