Run filter while feeding?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wideglide

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I notice a decent amount of flakes getting sucked into my filter. It hangs on the back, has a biowheel. Do most people shut their filter off during feeding time? TX!

I don't, but I can see how it might be an advantage in a small tank with flakes. Most of what I feed is sinking food that escapes the filter, or is fed far enough away from the filter that it doesn't get sucked in.

If you do go that route you'd probably be best off using a power strip so that you can flip the filter off with the touch of a button, then turn it on again once you've finished feeding. Or, if you like wiring, you could set up a switch to turn it on or off at the front of your stand with a switch/button. Obviously, you don't want to leave the filter off long term, but a few minutes would be absolutely safe.

This is really an excellent question. Not only is it a waste to have food sucked into the filter, but it can contribute to host of bacterial and fungal problems as the food decays.

By all means you should turn the filter off if you notice food being drawn in to the filter. A sponge prefilter would be a better alternative.

Good points Brian. I feed large quantities of daphnia in the spring and HOB and cannister filters are a poor choice as they suck up a lot of the live food. Switching the filters off is not an option for me, as I put in enough daphnia, that they can't eat them all in a day, much less a few minutes. Sponge filters are perfect for my scenario.

On my XP3 canisters, I lift the locking lever on the top, which reduces the flow the higher you lift. I lift til there's almost no flow during feedings.

Welcome to AA! I also lower my filter flow to the lowest point when feeding. Depending on the type of filter you have, many have a option for how much flow you want to have. Of course as Brian suggested a sponge pre filter is an excellent idea.

I'll definitely shut it down during feeding time. I'll check into sponge filters as well. Thanks, you guys!

I have an AquaClear HOB filter in the back left corner of my tank. I always feed in the front right corner of the tank to minimize the amount of food that gets sucked up. This works very well.

I used to drop the flow, and sometimes still do if I know I'll be in the room for a couple minutes, but since changing to the front right feeding place, very little is getting into the filter (and my snails in the filter take care of whats left :)).

What is funny is the fish know where the food gets dropping in the tank and will congregate in that area around feeding time when they see me. It's shocking actually how they can see me across the room coming towards the tank. You'd think you would have to be very close to the tank, but they can see much farther then that.

Snails in the filter, huh? What kind of snails? Do they manage to make it back into the aquarium eventually?

wideglide said:
Snails in the filter, huh? What kind of snails? Do they manage to make it back into the aquarium eventually?

Some do I'm sure. Most live their entire lives in the filter itself. Think about it, its like a free buffet that comes to them, they have excellent water quality (O2/CO2), and have no chance of predation from fish. The perfect life. :D

Back
Top Bottom