Running Carbon to Remove Medicine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the web site, Allivymar! (teeny print though!) I remember staining cells in microbiology lab in college to see if they were gram positive or negative, but that's about all I remember!

I think I'm going to do something a little different with my tank than I originally planned. I did change a gallon of water, and add the last dose of Kanacyn tonight. I was going to leave on Friday night with the carbon filter running to remove the med. Now I think I will change 2 gallons of water on Friday morning and put the carbon filter in. About 6 hours later, roughly 3 pm, I'll take it out and check the ammonia level (hopefully it will be 0 or close to it). I'll put a teaspoon of Bio-Spira in, then we'll leave. I was thinking about it, and I just can't leave knowing the ammonia has been high, so I'll speed up getting the med out, instead of letting the carbon filter run all weekend while I'm not here. Then I can put the Bio-Spira in, and hopefully have a little peace of mind that the ammonia will not be high again while I'm gone. Does this sound ok? I hope the carbon can remove enough med in about 6 hours so the Bio-Spira is not killed off.

In a tank that small you should be fine. Having that biospira is a great thing. I wish it was around here to buy for emergencies. Plus the lucky thing is that bettas can always head up top to breath air, which is why they seem to survive bad tank conditions (ie tiny bowls without water changes) so often. They should be fine for when you get back. Make sure your mom doesn't feed too much as without a big bacteria bed extra food could cause a small spike, but I am sure it will be fine. Good luck and have a fun trip.

You should be fine as tkos said. Just make sure mom doesn't overfeed, and double check those water parameters when you get home. Have a great trip!

Back
Top Bottom