Rust colored deposits

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Osage_Winter said:
From what I have learned and my own experiences with these things, these don't go away by themselves -- my tank was getting progressively worse, and they were consuming everything over long months. I HAD to take the ornaments and plants out of the tank to clean them of the diatoms ALL OVER them, and return them to the tank in order to be rid of them.

I don't believe these go away on their own.

Fixing algae problems at the souce will solve your problems and keeping up with regular water changes will keep your water at the proper levels. Algae has all to do with lighting, water flow, and phosphates. Proper lighting, new bulbs, regular water changes, and good water flow will make diatoms go away on their own.

They won't go away in every tank on their own. They would go away on their own, but you have to have an aquarium suited to that happening. Not many people will make their aquarium suit the needs of removing algae, they'll setup their aquarium to the needs of themselves and that's absolutely fine. Just remember not to overfeed and get used to scraping the glass every few weeks to remove it. Doing it before a water change will help because you'll still have it floating in the water and can remove a lot of it that way.

They won't go away in every tank on their own. They would go away on their own, but you have to have an aquarium suited to that happening. Not many people will make their aquarium suit the needs of removing algae, they'll setup their aquarium to the needs of themselves and that's absolutely fine. Just remember not to overfeed and get used to scraping the glass every few weeks to remove it. Doing it before a water change will help because you'll still have it floating in the water and can remove a lot of it that way.

You got it. Good point's Tim.

..."get used to scraping the glass every few weeks to remove it. Doing it before a water change will help because you'll still have it floating in the water and can remove a lot of it that way"...

Very good idea. Will do.

I believe the bottom line we're getting to here is that they will not disappear on their own completely; direct experience with this has proven the sentiment to me.

I am going to start a new thread on this anyway, because I spoke too soon about my diatoms being gone since I cleaned them...:rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom