Ryukin Behavior

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ferurizonly

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I would like to know if playing in the bubbles of the filter is normal behavior for these fish or any fish, or is the something I should worry about? I have had them for about a week. I just did a 25 % water change. Newbie here, please let me know.:confused:

I'm not speaking from experience but i believe it is normal, and goldfish just like playing in the bubbles! :)
What are the tank stats?
What size?
How many fish?

its a 40 gallon with 2 fish. My amonia between 2 an 4.0 and ph 7.6 nitrate 0, nitrite.05

they have been playing on and off for almost an hour and half?? I have seen my koi outside do this but not for this long?

Although goldfish do play, spending all the time in the bubbles (or at the surface) in the face of high ammonia is NOT normal. I agree a massive water change is in order. <I would do something like a 80% change or a couple of 50% changes a few hours apart. Note that you need to temp & parameter match the change water when doing massive pwc's.>

High ammonia burns the gills, which inhibits the fish's ability to breath, therefore it tries to gulp air from the surface to compensate. 2nd problem is nitrites, it binds to hemoglobin, preventing uptake of O2 .... again causing the fish to suffocate.

ATM - clean water is most important. Once you have done the pwc, come back & read all about cycling so you are prepared for what lies ahead.

Good job getting the correct size tank but the above advice is right you need to get you ammonia below .5

(Edited, it's been a long time since I fish in cycled a tank. Sorry)

I cycled the tank for almost two weeks using bio material from my koi pond, all my readings were stable for a day and half, got the fish, then next test after(2 days) that the ph went up. Today Tested again and was out of wack, so I did 25% change, I am now going do do a 50% change.
ps I did read the cycling of the tank, I am trying
Thanks for the advice

I cycled the tank for almost two weeks using bio material from my koi pond, all my readings were stable for a day and half, got the fish, then next test after(2 days) that the ph went up. Today Tested again and was out of wack, so I did 25% change, I am now going do do a 50% change.
ps I did read the cycling of the tank, I am trying
Thanks for the advice

Did you add an ammonia source during those two weeks? If not, then I'm afraid it didn't help. The bacteria need an ammonia source to feed from; you either add it without fish in the tank or the fish provide it with waste. Since you now have fish in an uncycled tank the bacteria needs to build up so it can handle the waste on its own. Until then, test daily and do pwc as needed to keep ammonia and nitrite under .25 at all times.

Back
Top Bottom