Ryukin goldfish in 10gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

twoodrough

Aquarium Advice Freak
My 4 year old sees a type of goldfish at Meijer and I think they might be the Ryukin type. I will have to check closer the next time we are there. I figure they have to be tough and cheap to be sold at Meijer. The max size listed is 8 inches.

Could one of these guys do okay alone in a 10 gallon tank?

Right now my 10 gallon is home to two hermit crabs and they will probably be around for a while. Once they are gone I have considered a small salt tank with a clown, but today I am wondering about this goldfish option. Wouldn't have to mess with salt and my daughter now says she likes this fish better anyway. Would the goldfish mess be more work than salt water making?

So - I thought I would see what you all have to say.

In my opinion, and based on much of what I've read, a 10 gallon will be tight for any fancy goldfish, including a Ryunkin. Generally speaking, the consensus seems to be a minumum of 20 gallons for the first fancy, and 10 gallons for each additional fancy.

Double filtration (rated for 2x tank size - or around 10x tank size in gallons per hour) is recommended for goldfish.

I have never kept a saltwater tank, but I imagine a goldfish tank is much easier to maintain. Having a goldfish tank myself, they are actually pretty easy to maintain despite the 'messy' reputation of goldfish.

Given the appropriate sized aquarium and adequate filtration, in my view, goldfish are among the easiest fish to keep. I think that they may get their 'messy' reputation from the fact that many goldfish owners have them in too small a tank with inadequate filtration -- it's easy to see how under such circumstances people might come to the conclusion that they are 'messy'.

I hope this has helped - and good luck!

I have to agree a 10g is a bit too small for an adult ryukin. Even a 20g would be a bit tight for a full grown adult but it would be sufficient for a year or two. Adult ryukins can grow to be larger than a big grapefruit plus finnage. While fancy goldfish may not require a heater, dont 'assume' they are easy to keep. They actually require a bit more work than most people realize for them to be happy & healthy & can live for more than 20yrs. Please ask if you have any questions! :)

Back
Top Bottom