S.A. Red Tailed Cat housing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cash Turtle

Aquarium Advice Regular
how large a tank would one need to house a SA red tailed catfish? I was over my moms freinds house today and she was telling me how her catfish ate one of her other fish. I walk over to the aqurium and wow thats a large fish (keeping in mind I have guppys) it looks to be about a foot long its living witha pleco and what looks like a gold colored carp thing and recently ate one of the carp looking fish.
we wants to seperate them and I offered her my 55 gallon (im also considering taking the fish if maybe she doesnt want it anymore)

Anyway is a 55 gallon anywhere near enough room for this fish its in a 30 gallon right now.

In nature that fish will grow to four feet. That would mean a tank in excess of 1000g. The fact is that anyone willing to house that fish for as long as they can is offering the fish the best possible life it can lead.

hmm I'll see if she'll take my 55 or let me keep him for a while and I'll watch out for a good deal on a larger tank, I sometimes see good prices on big ones when people are moving so maybe I'll get lucky
in any case im on a mission to get him into a bigger tank

At least 4'...6' is not unheard of....and absolute minimum of 1000g....and with nice, public-aquarium type thick glass, as they are powerful fish that can very easily shatter a tank.....expect to spend a good $20,000 housing/filtering/heating it....and put aside a good 8' x 14' space for the tank to go in. Really, you will likely want to rethink this.

JMO but........... The fish is here. It needs care and housing today. The best thing that's going to happen in that fishes life is that Cash Turtle wants to care for it for as long as possible. I commend him/her. :wink:

Back
Top Bottom