Sad day! :(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bsdryder7

Aquarium Advice Freak
so i woke up this morning and 3 of my large angels,my 2 gbr,3 rainbows and 1 featherfin cat and my spotted pleco were dead because my airstone broke last night and all my other fish were at the top of the tank gasping for air ......

ohh 4 out of my 6 kerris i just bought from len :(

and i just spent all that money on the ferts and c02 set up so i cant buy anymore fish for a lil bit......

OMGosh!!! Im so sorry, that is a sad day. so sorry for you losses :(

That's why it's always better to have a backup. 2 decent sized airstones is a much safer approach than one large one that your fish depend on for life.

Have you checked your parameters? I seriously doubt that no surface agitation would cause them all to die overnight. I don't run air stones in my tanks, nor do I have any surface agitation. Spiked parameters can cause them to gasp as well.

Sorry to hear about the losses though :(

Sorry to hear this. Are you running a DIY CO2 system or a pressurized setup?

Have you checked your parameters? I seriously doubt that no surface agitation would cause them all to die overnight. I don't run air stones in my tanks, nor do I have any surface agitation. Spiked parameters can cause them to gasp as well.

Sorry to hear about the losses though :(

there perfect i dont know but i had a back up and turned it on at 5 this morning and came home and all the other fish are perfect and back to normal color...

the ones that survived were pale white when i left this morn ??

Sorry to hear this. Are you running a DIY CO2 system or a pressurized setup?

i bought a pressurized c02 set up but havent set it up ....im going tomorrow to fill up the tank..ill prob be asking you and rook questions when i do lol...

i dont get it

I just can't see that being an issue... honestly. But, it sounds like that's exactly the cause. I'm stumped man. Like I said, my tanks have no surface agitation at all and I never see any rapid gill movement or anything of the like

i have noticed that but maybe someone can chime in cause how im i going to run the c02 with the airstone???

im just as confused as you

i have noticed that but maybe someone can chime in cause how im i going to run the c02 with the airstone???

im just as confused as you

Here is a pic of a simple DIY CO2.
DIY_CO2_setup.jpg

Here is a vid on DIY CO2!
YouTube - 24. How to make home made CO2 for your aquarium plants to grow like crazy

lol what i meant was that i thought your cant run an airstone with a pressurized c02 set up because of off gassing the c02

can someone chime in about that

What pressurized setup did you buy? 90% of them will have a solenoid... you just need to run the CO2 during the day while the lights are on, and have it shut off at night. There is no requirement to use an air stone.

i got the ma957 reg ....

i cant figure out why that happened then if it is optional to run an airstone ??

the fish that stayed alive were really pale white and when i turned the air back on and came home they were off the top of the tank and back to normal color ??

any suggestions

nope.....just dosing exce 1 cap full...flourish 1 capfull....trace 2 capfulls once a week.....

i just got my reg and tank yesterday but need to fill the tank and couldnt get there till tomorrow

THIS HAPPENED BEFORE BUT I CAUGHT IT EARLY ENOUGH BUT ALL THE FISH WERE AT THE TOP OF THE TANK ALL PALE LOOKING AND I TURNED THE AIR BACK ON???

So there was no CO2 running on the tank? Something else killed the fish if that's the case.

NO C02 AT ALL .....my water is perfect

p.h 6.8
amonia 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 5 ppm

i just dont understand how i turned the air back on and the remanning fish looked a lot better

I'm also clueless...but taking a shot in the dark, maybe you forgot to dechlorinate during a pwc and the airstone was bubbling out the chlorine content? The hole in my theory is that chloramines wouldn't evaporate, so if that was the case you should see ammo readings if your biofilter hasn't gobbled them up yet.

I'm very sorry about your fish. :-( I would also be obsessed with figuring out the cause.

Back
Top Bottom