Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-12-2018, 03:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

Sad Dwarf Froggy

So my daughter is obsessed with frogs so I got her an African dwarf in my 110g thinking he would be happy as heck, but one of the loaches was picking on him so left a nice welt on his back.

I have since moved him to the 10g take that has a Betta and two ottos. Do you think they will get along ok? The Betta is prettty lazy and the stock the tank with scuds so I know he will get fat, Im just sad I had to move him from the 110 to the 10

Old 03-13-2018, 02:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Regular

I think your ADF would be happiest in a tank with other ADFs only. They like to be in a community of other frogs in a tank that isn’t too tall for them (12 inches is great). ADFs don’t see well and find their food by smell. Fish in the same tank steal their food and the frogs might starve to death. They do well with frozen blood worms and can eat them from a dish alongside their frog mates but feeding them individually with a small syringe works even better. A frog only tank will provide a great deal of entertainment for you and your daughter.

Old 03-13-2018, 03:54 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thank you for the advice,I will work on finding him new friends and a new home.

So you would suggest against just feeding scuds?
Old 03-14-2018, 04:29 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

I don’t think just scuds would meet all of the frogs’ nutritional needs. I mostly feed frozen bloodworms, thawed before serving. On occasion I add brine shrimp and sometimes a bit of beefheart, also purchased in frozen cubes. I do not use pellets because I think they are unsafe and become lodged in the frog’s throat, but if you choose to add them to your ADFs’ diet, I would suggest you soak them long enough to soften and then offer them just once a week with bloodworms on the other feeding days.
Old 03-14-2018, 03:13 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the information, Ill make sure hes comfortable and happy
Old 03-14-2018, 09:15 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Regular

We have a clawed African frog that we thought was a Dwarf frog. He is not a Dwarf frog in size. We have him in our 37 gallon community tank. He has eaten two of our Zebra Danios that were dying and slow moving, laying on the bottom. We were not sure about the first fish that went missing but we are certain about the second. The frog did not eat for days and he had a huge funny shaped belly during that time.
Old 03-15-2018, 07:57 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yup African Clawed will eat anything they *think* will fit in their mouth 😏Mine passed because he tried to eat my 4" pleco & the spine caught in his throat 😏
Old 03-18-2018, 08:33 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I noticed today my froggers skin looks like it was peeling off, do they shed or molt or something?
Old 03-18-2018, 08:42 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cohenjl13 View Post
I noticed today my froggers skin looks like it was peeling off, do they shed or molt or something?
I have read that the frogs do this. I have never noticed it on ours.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by earhtmother View Post
Yup African Clawed will eat anything they *think* will fit in their mouth 😏Mine passed because he tried to eat my 4" pleco & the spine caught in his throat 😏
This is what I am afraid of. We have panda cory cats in the tank and I fear the frog might actually be able to catch one. They get out of the way quickly I have noticed but if they are not paying attention, one might become dinner. I have always thought the frog cool. It came home from school when a class science project was done a year ago. It has grown large enough that it might be time to re home it if I don't want it going after the healthy fish as dinner.

Tags
dwarf, dwarf frog, frog, sad

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com