SAE's, they really are as good as they say!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just recently bought 7 Siamese algae eaters that are approx 3 inches in size. I made sure to do the research to ensure what I was buying was in face the true sae and not a fake.

The first 2 days of them.getting used to the tank was nothing I didn't expect. But ever since they have been on a bba/hair algae destroying mission!! I am actually blown away at how quickly they are eating this stuff and how non stop they are. From the time I get home 5pm till bed which is around 11 I witness them constantly eating.

I have no doubt these guys/gals will have my tank spotless in no time at all (75g heavily planted).

Keep in mind my algae problem is very minimal but bba does, well had existed on the driftwood and on some ends of cut dwarf sag.

I just wanted to share how happy I am with them and how much I enjoy watcuig them. They was they move in the tank is like no other fish I have, they really add something special to my list of fish.

I highly recommend these fish to anyone with a big enough tank to support them. They are IMO the best algae eaters freshwater has to offer!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Until they get older and start eating slime coats off of tankmates and kill other fish.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Agreed. I have two SAE's, and I enjoy watching all their quirky little antics.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I getting confused BC I though cae and sae were same fish just a common name. Guess I need to do a little more reading.

I getting confused BC I though cae and sae were same fish just a common name. Guess I need to do a little more reading.

Let's just say there's about 4 different types of fish sold as "algae eaters" and a true SAE is something that you won't get at ANY box store.

The CAE is actually a sucking loach, they eat the algae as juveniles and will get aggressive as they get older(as well as stop eating algae). Yes they will attack slow moving, broad sided fish.

Actually, if you go to pets mart or petco and look in the algae eater tank you can probably identify 3 specific fish as distinct, with very subtle differences.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

100% not the same fish.

sae's are peaceful community fish.

My lfs owner thanked me the other day when i noticed that his employee had labeled some true sae as flying foxes. I would say there are about 6 diiff fish called sae, but only 1 is the real thing.

I am in ontario canada

Take a look at some of these pics where you can see where bba was and now is non existent.

Another neat thing about them is that they "rest" on plant leaves. I caught a good pic of one of mine this morning.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405777996.661602.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, mine do that all the time too :)

I love these fish!! My tank is now 99% algae free and my plants are kicking butt.

They were so fun to watch when I had mine. I lost them in a PH crash but here is their pic; I called them the twins because they would do exactly the same thing all the time if one did something the other did it too and they were always very near each other! They nibble away all day long. SAE are awesome fish. I am planning on a couple more when I find them again.
60074-albums11380-picture52589.jpg

Your tank is beautiful!

Back
Top Bottom