Safe and cheap sand for aquariums?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikeybabs

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello. I need to fill a 40 gallon with sand and I was wondering the safest and cheapest way to go?

I've heard of play sand and and pool sand as being cheap but are they safe? What other options do I have and where should I be looking? I know the fish stores are kind of pricey....

Thanks!

HUKIT said:
Pool filter and play sand are both safe for aquariums, just make sure you rinse them well prior to adding water.

How much is that dark sand that you use? Where can I find it?

It's Tahitian Moon sand by Caribsea, it's around $20 per 20lbs. I always order from DoctorFoster, since they offer cheap shipping no matter how much you order. But I've even seen it for sale at Petsmart.

question then, if all play sand and pool filter sand is safe, is there no worries about if it's silica based or not?

I've used play sand, Quickrete Medium Sand (I think it's pretty much PFS), and Black Blast (coal slag blasting compound) with great success. They range between $3 and $8 for 50lb.

jetajockey, I thought the 3M Colorquartz was discontinued?

I've used play sand, Quickrete Medium Sand (I think it's pretty much PFS), and Black Blast (coal slag blasting compound) with great success. They range between $3 and $8 for 50lb.

jetajockey, I thought the 3M Colorquartz was discontinued?

They did discontinue it quite a while ago, but there are some suppliers that still have some stock.

Back
Top Bottom