Safe Betta Decor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

unknown_7

Aquarium Advice Freak
For one of my betta tanks I used to have, I put a safe aquarium decoration I had in one of my old tanks. But what I realized is that the bettas fins got ripped up a lot and it died about a couple days after, so now I don't want that to happen again. I saw no sharp edges on the tank decoration, and it had not harmed any of the fish in the tank it was in. So are there any "tests" I can do to make sure that the decorations I use are betta safe? Thank you all for all your posts and help that you are providing in advance.

Mine tore his fins on a plastic plant. Silk plants should be used instead, and IMO, they look better anyway.

I agree with Rich and Blazeherd - silk plants should be used with bettas. When I used silk plants, some of them had a plastic flower and I cut that off. I used fine sandpaper to smooth the cut edge of the plastic stem. I have read that you can use pantyhose to "test" the sharpness of a decoration. If it doesn't snag the pantyhose, it shouldn't snag the betta's fins.

I've always used silk plants with my Bettas, as well. I also use those smooth marbles as a substrate vs the coarse gravel.

Real plants are also a good alternative to fake ones. And if there is a light on the tank, chances are you will be able to grow something. :D Mine loves laying on the Anubias

Back
Top Bottom