Safe Stone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alshain

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, so the guy at the local landscaping place was nice enough to GIVE me my choice of a small piece of stone for my aquarium. They didnt have any slate but they had this, he called it "blanco" something or other. Can anyone tell me if this will alter my tank water? I will be breaking it into pieces and building terraces and caves from it. I thought it would go nice to add depth (no pun intended) to the tank with jet black eco-complete.

EDIT: Well I dropped it in a bowl of tank water, no immediate reaction. I will test the PH, KH, and GH after it sits for a while.

Last edited:
My landscaper has this stuff too. I didn't get any, but I am interested in hearing your experiences. You can check it various acids, vinegar is too weak, but if you have some, it may tell you if it is safe or not. If it doesn't foam for you, don't trust it to be safe, go get some stronger acids and try it again.

The flakiness of the stuff is a little concerning.

i believe "blanco" is a travertine Marble (marble is the metamorphic "child" of Limestone) it will probably not react with acid unless you powder it.
it will probably raise you ph overtime but not as fast as it's parent rock limestone

Also depends on your water. Hard water already is pretty saturated with Ca so won't dissolve much more of any kind of rock. Acidic water, however, will likely react with some of the softer "stable" rocks (such as marble).

Well I have two large pieces of malaysian going in the tank also, so a small raise in hardness would be counteracted. As for the flakeyness, thats dirt on the right side, the stone is quite hard. I am a little concerned about raising PH though.

EDIT: Looks like this stuff isn't going to work, it raised PH by a point in 10 hours time, I can only imagine if I let it keep going.

Back
Top Bottom