Safe to add boiled rocks to my fish tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After soaking them in hot hot water in a big bucket and scrub ing them and power rinsing them a d then soaking em in the same water treatment conditioner and drying In sun I put the rocks In. So far so good. My convicts love their new rock caves!

Freakgecko91 said:
The chlorine in tap water isn't bleach, just saying...quite different

You're absolutely right, chlorine bleach is made of mostly sodium hypochlorite, which is toxic and extremely caustic. Whereas most oxygen bleaches are composed of sodium peroxide.

So if someone absolutely had to use bleach for sterilization, it would be a wiser choice to go with an oxygen bleach like oxyclean.

I just know that clorox is the best thing to have on hand. It is recommended if you have a disaster of waterline issue to have on hand to sterilize water in case you need safe drinking water.

ashleynicole said:
I just know that clorox is the best thing to have on hand. It is recommended if you have a disaster of waterline issue to have on hand to sterilize water in case you need safe drinking water.

Not true at all. An oxygenating bleach is the safest to use.

Natetrix said:
Not true at all. An oxygenating bleach is the safest to use.

My husband and I are both disaster certified. He is a police officer and I am an ER Nurse. Plain clorox bleach (none of the scented kind and none with additives). 2 drops per quart of water to make safe sanitized drinking water. Clorox is recommended because it is one of the most purely recommended.

ashleynicole said:
My husband and I are both disaster certified. He is a police officer and I am an ER Nurse. Plain clorox bleach (none of the scented kind and none with additives). 2 drops per quart of water to make safe sanitized drinking water. Clorox is recommended because it is one of the most purely recommended.

You are disaster certified for humans, not fish

And we aren't talking about human disasters anyways... Fish are different than humans in case you didn't know. Oxy based bleach will ALWAYS safer for fish, whether there's a disaster or not.

I know we are taking about fish but someone said "bleach is scarry stuff" and then I was explaining why its not scary you just have to be responsible with it. I never said to add bleach to your fish water. But chlorine bleach will break down if left to sit out which is why you let anything cleaned in bleachwater sit for 24 hours and dry completely.

And I said clorox is one if the best sanitizing agents to have on hand and you said "not true".

This is a thread for sanitizing fish tank equipment, so that information was useless.but thanks for the random info :)

ashleynicole said:
Bleach isn't scary, you swim in it. Drink it in tapwater and it is even used in wound care as something called "dakins" solution.

Don't soak things in straight bleach. You just need like a tablespoon in a sink full of water to disinfect. A little goes a long way.

I agree. Fema states to sterilize water to drink it in an emergency add 5 drops per gallon..... 1 drop for a whole pool doesn't do anything.

I have used a diluted bleach to sterilize my QT tanks, start new tanks and wash baby bottles. Allow 48 to 72 hours to dry in the sun after rinsing out several times.

Openbrain said:
I agree. Fema states to sterilize water to drink it in an emergency add 5 drops per gallon..... 1 drop for a whole pool doesn't do anything.

I have used a diluted bleach to sterilize my QT tanks, start new tanks and wash baby bottles. Allow 48 to 72 hours to dry in the sun after rinsing out several times.

Thanks, this is what I was trying to illuminate. It is safe to sterilize and sanitize tanks and equipment with bleach water. It was not random information. Of course there are many ways to get something done. I was pointing out that bleach can be safely used for this.

use hydrogen peroxide, thats what i did with my tank when i got rocks from the rock cory. what you do is, pour the peroxide on the rocks and rub your hand all over it. let it sit in the sun for 20 minutes then spray it iff with water throughly. it worked like a charm for me!

Back
Top Bottom