Safe to vacuum gravel with kulhi loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KimmiA

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi guys!

The title pretty much says it all. Is it safe to do my weekly gravel vacuum cleaning if I get a kulhi loach? I know it is ideal to have sand substrate with them but after a disastrous attempt at having that kind of substrate I've sworn away from sand and kept with gravel.

I know loaches like to bury themselves in substrate, and my concern is I'd suck one of them up while doing a vacuuming.

Thanks in advance!

I had three dojo loaches at one point, and they would bury themselves to their heads in the gravel, even when I was vacuuming. I never sucked one of them up, they would move pretty quickly if I touched the rocks near them. Just try to be aware of their location when you're doing it and they'll be fine.

I had three dojo loaches at one point, and they would bury themselves to their heads in the gravel, even when I was vacuuming. I never sucked one of them up, they would move pretty quickly if I touched the rocks near them. Just try to be aware of their location when you're doing it and they'll be fine.

I agree. I also had a micro color change goby and he would bury himself. When vacuuming I would start gently and not force the syphon all the way down. Give them a chance to move. You can usually see their snout barely sticking above the gravel.

Nah they'll be fine. Don't underestimate their speed and intelligence!

I have cut a kuhli loach in half before with the gravel vac. Just move a little slower to give them a chance to move.

Back
Top Bottom