Safest way to do WC using DIY Python / Python, When do I add Prime?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philipraposo198

Aquarium Advice Addict
I went to my LFS today to buy some random stuff and got talking with an associate there about water changes. Long story short I ended up making a DIY Python, which works great btw :)

Anyhow, I want to mke sure I don't harm my fish doing wcs this way. I know that temp matching is key and to keep watching for temp changes during refill. I am not sure on best way to dechlorinate the water that's going in the tank.

I am guessing since I will be doing 50% wcs of the full 60g volume of water it would probably be a good idea to dose prime for like 50g worth? even though I am only removing 30g. Would this be good?

Should I pour all the prime in BEFORE i start refilling? or half first and half midway?

How long once prime hits the water does it keep working to remove toxins?!

Any and all advice much appreciated.

Also since I am on the topic, how much of a temp change is safe while doing a wc? 1-2 degrees? 3-5? more? or none?

using the buckets the last 4 months I have normally 1-2 degree change.

Dose for the full tank volume right before you start refilling. Try to spread it fairly evenly so it can neutralize things immediately.

how about pouring the full dose in the back corner and using my hose in just that spot?!

safer?

People swear by this method.. seems to work instantly.. you could always slow down the flow to give prime a fair shot. As for temp... no more than +/- 4 degrees..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I can easily stay in that temp range.

I guess I am just nervous coming from the bucket method. Not fully understanding how prime works is part of my nervousness.

I can easily stay in that temp range.

I guess I am just nervous coming from the bucket method. Not fully understanding how prime works is part of my nervousness.

No one does, seachem makes sure of that haha.. it may not be feasible but could you setup a wc barrel? With a pump? Makes wc's a breeze and no pH swings.

not really feasible, but I had thought about it.

I have learned that doing frequent wcs helps maintain a stable or more stable ph. Its not such a concern any more.

What would be some signs to watch for with my fish if they were feeling unhappy about the possible amounts of chlorine in the water? is there a known symptom?

Same old tell tale sign.. gasping at the top or massive color fade... if I remember correctly you have pretty low ph to begin with? I wouldn't sweat it too much. Your water is probably pretty neutral in the major fish diturbers.. my water stinks like chlorine.. i kind of have to store the water...

I have filtered water setup that we use for drinking water and I use that for my water changes. Saves any need for dechlorinating it's pretty neutral too in hardness.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Lol... This helps me how?!

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah sorry just offering an idea if you had the chance to setup a filtered water system then you wouldn't have to worry about de-chlorinating it. Sorry I am just a boy ?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I used to dose each bucket before I filled. Then, I switched to a longer hose and did the entire volume dosage and filled after. Both methods worked fine.

how did you make the dyi python I could use one

I first bought the python piece that attaches to the sink. $14.00

I then got a 75' 5/8" garden hose, $15.00 (lowes)
bought a plastic check valve and the male and female adapter for when i cut the hose. $10 for all 3 pieces (lowes)

I am only using it for wcs and not vacuuming so i didn't buy the head. But its really a simple design.

I first bought the python piece that attaches to the sink. $14.00

I then got a 75' 5/8" garden hose, $15.00 (lowes)
bought a plastic check valve and the male and female adapter for when i cut the hose. $10 for all 3 pieces (lowes)

I am only using it for wcs and not vacuuming so i didn't buy the head. But its really a simple design.

Do you get decent suction? Mine is only 12' of 5/8 vinyl tubing and I'm not all that impressed with the suction.. maybe 50 gph if that..

Very good. But its because I run to my laundry tub which has a ton of pressure coming out. Stronger vacuum.

I will time it next time I do a WC in a week. But its fast!

Very good. But its because I run to my laundry tub which has a ton of pressure coming out. Stronger vacuum.

I will time it next time I do a WC in a week. But its fast!

Ahhh, very good.. my sink is crap.. i may just start draining out the window of my 3rd floor apt.. 30' of hose and I could drain the 40b in 10 seconds flat!

That would be interesting :)

I put the dose of Prime in a 16 ounce plastic cup and then fill the cup with water. Then I hold the python in one hand and the cup in the other and dribble the prime into the stream of new water. It's way easier to do it than to write it out. LOL

Back
Top Bottom