Sailfin molly alone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sara.s

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Can a sailfin molly live alone? Will he feel sad? I don't want the fry

Now he lives with apple snails,I would like to know the options

How big is your set up? I understand not wanting fry, but while mollies don't school, they are social.

They are social. And he isnt gonna die if hes alone but his life gone definitely be shortened if you don't get him other fish

Agree. Fish like humans prefer company. You would need to get other fish of good size, his size or larger. Mollies are not exactly community tank fish. You could try maybe some blue ran chichlids, but then again those can breed too lol. But the good thing is that nature takes care of its self. Often times fish fry get eaten from the other tank mates. Unless your tank is heavily planted, it's not likely that many fry will survive to adulthood. Maybe try some gouramis or something.

How big is your set up? I understand not wanting fry, but while mollies don't school, they are social.

My aquarium is long 100cm (39,3701 inches), 180 liters (47,5 gallons), but I can change it.

Otherwise I was thinking to buy 2 female black mollies (not sailfin), becouse I'm not interested with the fry, they are a little smaller. What do you think about it?
Is it a wrong idea?

I'm still worry that they can fight... :( I know that they have a hierarchy...
My sailfin molly is a good boy, but I'm worry.... maybe the females could bite the apple snails...

I'm thinking about this...

How are mollies not community tank fish theyre mostly peaceful from my experience?

I keep them in community tanks. They tend to breed better in brackish water and some say they just do better overall in brackish water. So for community tanks, it's hard to find other fish that like water that's as brackish as they thrive in. But I don't breed commercially, and my water is very hard to begin with.

Also, while mollies are peaceful, not all tankmates are. You wouldn't want to put mollies in with something like tiger barbs, who, even in a shoal can get nippy. They're just not as fast of swimmers.

Diet is also somewhat of a concern. Mollies like more vegetables than other tropical species. My 40 gallon is mostly livebearers and cory cats, and everyone in there is happy with a mostly vegetarian diet. My 20 gallon has mollies and red-eye tetras. And while the mollies love to eat everything I give the tetras, it's really not the best food for them all the time. OTOH, the tetras work great for population control with the fry.

My aquarium is long 100cm (39,3701 inches), 180 liters (47,5 gallons), but I can change it.

Otherwise I was thinking to buy 2 female black mollies (not sailfin), becouse I'm not interested with the fry, they are a little smaller. What do you think about it?
Is it a wrong idea?

I'm still worry that they can fight... :( I know that they have a hierarchy...
My sailfin molly is a good boy, but I'm worry.... maybe the females could bite the apple snails...

I'm thinking about this...

Any female molly you get will be able to have fry with that male unless she's sterile for some reason. (Which you won't know.) A black molly or a gold dust molly or a creamcicle molly weather or not it has a sailfin will still be able to get pregnant. They'll ignore snails. That tank is large enough for a community of other fish. The heirarchy will work out on its own, it's not so much aggression as a bit of chasing and he'll have a harem with a dominant female. Larger tetra species eat fry--lamp/red eyes/the various skirts will eat fry. Especially in a non-heavily planted tank. Use other decorations or use plants with long flat leaves rather than fern-type leaves or grass. Also, if you have black mollies, use lighter colored gravel, it'll make it easier for the adults to spot and eat them.

Last edited:
I keep them in community tanks. They tend to breed better in brackish water and some say they just do better overall in brackish water. So for community tanks, it's hard to find other fish that like water that's as brackish as they thrive in. But I don't breed commercially, and my water is very hard to begin with.

Also, while mollies are peaceful, not all tankmates are. You wouldn't want to put mollies in with something like tiger barbs, who, even in a shoal can get nippy. They're just not as fast of swimmers.

Diet is also somewhat of a concern. Mollies like more vegetables than other tropical species. My 40 gallon is mostly livebearers and cory cats, and everyone in there is happy with a mostly vegetarian diet. My 20 gallon has mollies and red-eye tetras. And while the mollies love to eat everything I give the tetras, it's really not the best food for them all the time. OTOH, the tetras work great for population control with the fry.
Yeah i see what you mean by that

Back
Top Bottom