Salt?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dan198811

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone I'm just wondering whether I can use any other type of salt to add to my aquarium as I'm using aquarium salt at the moment but I'm finding it a little expensive at £3 for 260g. I have purchased sea salt granules (the type u put in a grinder for the dinner table) would this be ok to use? I understand u can not use salt with anti caking agents but as sea salt is 100% natural this could be a cheaper alternative to aquarium salt?

I use it at 0.1% as a general tonic and a safeguard against any diseases. I was told to re treat the tank after every water change as it will be taking the salt out and weakening its strength and I have 2 tanks doing 30% water changes weekly

Thank you for your reply. I mainly only really use it to support another form of treatment. It works amazing on its own too. I had a case of cotton wool fungus and treated with salt at the recommended dose and cured the fish within the week!! Works wonders for me

Always been a fan of salt!!! I follow dosing guides but only to the amount of water changed weekly.

Without getting into the great salt debate I just want to say that a tonic of salt is not a safeguard to diseases. Hopefully as time goes by and more LFS workers and owners get more educated on the subject the mythology will finally be put to rest.

To answer the original question, any kind of natural salt with no additives works fine.

Aquarium Salt Alternatives

Hi everyone I'm just wondering whether I can use any other type of salt to add to my aquarium as I'm using aquarium salt at the moment but I'm finding it a little expensive at £3 for 260g. I have purchased sea salt granules (the type u put in a grinder for the dinner table) would this be ok to use? I understand u can not use salt with anti caking agents but as sea salt is 100% natural this could be a cheaper alternative to aquarium salt?

Hello dan...

You can use Kosher salt or commercial canning salt in place of standard aquarium salt. Avoid table salt, it can have additives that could be harmful to your fish.

B

Hi. BBradbury what are the types of salt you have mentioned? I am from the UK and may be called something different over here

Salt Alternatives

Hi. BBradbury what are the types of salt you have mentioned? I am from the UK and may be called something different over here

Hello again dan...

Standard aquarium salt is what I use. Kosher and commercial canning salts can also be used. Avoid table salt. It typically has additives in it that could cause problems for your fish.

Also, keep the dose to no more than a standard teaspoon in roughly 5 gallons of your new, treated tap water. A teaspoon is about a pinch and a bit more.

B

Back
Top Bottom