salt for cat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HOLLIEO

Aquarium Advice Freak
Awwwwwwwwww crapola!!
Here I go again. I have two platys with spots...ICH!!
Anyway, can Pictus Catfish tolerate salt? I know the ICH med is supposed to be given at half dose, but wasen't sure about aquarium salts for him. He doesn't have it, but I am treating everyone in the tank. Gosh, Can an Algae eater tolerate this as well?

I'm not 100% certain but I don't think any catfish should be treated with salt due to their not having scales but have either a naked body or bony plates.

I looked on about.com but not much on salt issue.

I hope someone else chimes in or maybe you could call an aquarium for advice :wink:

Louise

Ooo you've touched on a controversal subject HOLLIEO LOL

I have been told salt is a MAJOR no-no for scaleless fish. However, no one could back that one up with scientific proof, so I went and did a little research. Then a friend on a different forum found some articles for me, and while we couldn't find any AGAINST using it, we found scientific articles supporting it, especially in the case of nitrIte poisoning in catfish. So my guess is the jury is still out on this one.

My suggestion is to try salt in lower the usual doses. Part of the tx for ich is also high temps. Maybe the combo will be enough to eradicate the ich? Make sure all your guys can tolerate some fairly high temps, and be prepared to do a major water change if the pictus DOES seem to be reacting negatively.

That sounds like good advice. The higher temp will speed up the life cycle of the ich and some salt (I think 1 tsp per gallon?) will kill the ich.

Otherwise there are plenty of good quality ich medications out there.

Maybe I will just hold off on the salt for now. :?
I keep the tank pretty warm to began with, usually at about 82°-84° F. So, i bumped it up just a notch more and treated with half the dose (because of the allege eater and the pictus catfish). Started first dose and temp rise last night. This morning one of my sword tails was belly up on the bottom. I think he was sick when I got her, i don't think it was the treatment or heat?!?!?
I think I will treat again with the ICH meds today (day 2) and then vacuum gravel/water change tomorrow (day 3) and then treat for one more day. or should I vacuum/water change tomorrow (day 3) and then put the carbon back in filters? Suggestions?

I have never heard of anyone having a problem with salt and scaleless. Ick rememdies contain certain types of chemicals that can be bad for scaless fish. However, salt boosts electrolytes, creates a natural pH buffer, and cleans rocks and plastic plants. It also helps to reduce ick because freshwater ick is not tolerant of much salt.

I use salt with all of my scaless fish and even my caecilian. They are all living quite happy, active lives, and one lived almost 15 years in ponds, tropical, and coldwater tanks.

On the other end of the spectrum, midage freshwater cats kept at brackish or marine levels of salt (sythetic mixes) can become damaged. I have found that the younger the cat, the more adaptable it will be.

Doistu Nishiki Koi, loaches, plecos, rapheals, upsidedown or shovelnose cats, those little bottom feeding cats; they all seem to do really well with low levels of salt. And since I have been using salt in my ponds and tanks, I have not had one bout with ick, and no septicima (knock on wood).

So, what kind of salt do you use? Yes. I know not to use table salt, but not sure if there is a particular brand or type from the petstore? :oops:
:? I have a 20 gallon freshwater with 4 Zebra Danios, 4 black skirt (or widow) tetras, an algae eater, pictus catfish, and 2 platys... How much salt would you reccomend? I have never used the salt before... ever.

*slaps self*

I forgot to mention. Do not use salt with cories; they are one of the cats who truly canNOT take salt. I know you don't have any HOLLIEO, but figured I better mention it. Tis what I get for posting when I have insomnia LOL

Is you want to spend a little extra, you can use the aquarium salt found in most pet stores. Believe it or not, rock salt used for thawing out driveways is also an option (as long as its PURE rock salt with no additives). Others use Morton Canning salt. The key here is you want salt with no additives at all; no iodine, none of that stuff that keeps it free flowing.

Unfortunately, I'm unfamiliar with your fish in terms of salt levels; my guess is they all can tolerate a decent level of salt, but do a little research on each type to be sure.

This is all shades of wrong, but I just eyeball things when I add my salt. I'm sure there are directions on the back on the carton. I'd use something with small grains, because it disolves easier.

A friend of the family runs a locally owned pet shop, one I have visited for years. She uses salt in all of her tanks to avoid infections. I've never had a cory cat, but I would listen to Allivymar.

Goldfish supposedly can take more salt than tropical, but I don't use much with my goldfish, as they are not too keen on any level of marine salt, and therefore I don't want to risk high levels of aquarium salt.

I had my plecos in a brackish tank for a while and they did just fine. I still have them today. They aren't pictus cats, but they're scaleless...

We had a pictus in our brackish tank for a while. The salt didn't seem to bother him. We just used some instant ocean for the salt. Just remember, don't add salt directly to the tank, mix it first with water then dump it in.

Thanks nugrad2005. I like a dummy, would have added it directly :oops:
So, I have herd mentioned many times to add a little salt to a tanka.. always... to help fight against disese. Okay, so does anyone know how much salt (granule like) to add to a 20 gallon???

salt shouldn't be a problem...my white tip columbian sharks are scaleless but yet they are brackish water fish...

Depends on who you talk to HOLLIEO. Some say a small amount of salt all the time is good. Others say only use it if you need it (like to treat nitrIte poisoning, or to do the salt/high temp tx for ich). Personally I'm comfortable adding only when its warranted. I add no more then a teaspoon per 10 gallons, but some folks add a tsp per gallon. Another "jury's still out" question LOL

*edit*
It also depends on the fish as mentioned in a previous post. Some fish just don't need it, others will respond poorly. Yet others MUST have salt to be in good health.

I like a dummy, would have added it directly

I always add directly when I add salt. It dissolves VERY quickly when there's not a high salt content to begin with.
That's just my thoughts though.

I never add salt directly, but then again I use aquarium salt and its a bit chunky. Those salt grains can burn the fish, and since I have a plec and loaches cruising the substrate for food I'd hate to have it get in contact with em. Is no big deal for me; I add it to the water I'm going to use for a water change and let it dissolve in there.

Since no fish live in a solution of NaCl then adding just plain salt to the tank all the time really doesn't do much to the life of the fish. It is best left as a remedy. Fish like mollies and other brackish fish need more than just plain salt, they need saltwater mix at a lower ratio. And adding something as a preventive medicine really doesn't make sense. There is no need to medicate unless there is a need.

And I would agree with allivymar, you shouldn't just add salt to the tank. You just need to premix it in a little dish and then add it. Not too hard.

Okay, everyone... now I am in dire need!!!!
I tried the ICH med for three days, temp at about 84°....
I cleaned the tank yesterday to replace the filter cartridge (put back the carbon) and syphon the gravel. The Platys still have little spots on them (like salt) and now it kinda looks like my Black Widow (or skirted) tetras have a spot or two. What the heck?!?! maybe my meds are not good enough :?:
What the heck do I do know... this is soooooooooooooooooooo frustrating. Oh, and on top of that my Pictus cat is acting funny. He is kinda just wiggling back and forth vertically (looks like a snake movement) and opening and closing his mouth.. and his whiskers that usually poke out are kinda curled against him. Very strange. He is eating however. What is going on here? What do i do know?!?! HELP!!! PLEASE!!! I don't want to loos any fishys :cry:

Generally you have to treat for a lot longer than that. Most ich lives for a couple of weeks and sometimes the meds don't work until the ich is in a certain stage.

Back
Top Bottom