Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - General Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2011, 02:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt in freshwater?

I heard you could put salt in you tank so I bought some tank salt crystallized form and sinks. Are you suppose to use that kind or table salt? What do these do.

30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:20 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You shouldn't be putting any salt in your tanks unless you're treating a disease, like ich or ick. Freshwater is for freshwater fish, I'd keep it that way. I wouldn't use table salt either, it has iodide harmful to fish.

Old 12-30-2011, 05:36 AM   #3
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

Most freshwater fish do not need salt in their water. Like bruins said, table salt is bad. The only reason for your average freshwater, tropical tank of tetras/cichlids or what-not to need salt is to treat ich or some other disease.
I am not totally sure what sort of salt you got, but I don't recommend using it.
Old 12-30-2011, 02:14 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Oh ok thanks.
30G- S. and C. America tank
Fishie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishie View Post
I heard you could put salt in you tank so I bought some tank salt crystallized form and sinks. Are you suppose to use that kind or table salt? What do these do.
Hello Fishie...

I've used standard aquarium salt in my Livebearer and Corydoras tanks for several years and my fish and plants are healthy and thriving. If you do decide to use it, use only standard aquarium salt, kosher or canning salt. Table salt and most of the others have additives in them that can be harmful to your fish.

I dose a teaspoon in every five gallons of my water change water, which is a little less than the recommended one tablespoon per five gallons of water change water. If you want information on the benefits of using salt in freshwater tanks just go to www.bestfish.com/fwsalt

B

Tags
freshwater, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com